NetTalk Central

Author Topic: uploading net talk application on godaddy windows hosting  (Read 7337 times)

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
Re: uploading net talk application on godaddy windows hosting
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
hi wolfgang,
thanks for the reply.

yes, i use RDP.

I cant open the exe even from inside the virtual server.

i can open the sql from my laptop and even export the data to the VPS database. Thus, i can access SQL remotely.

can i run IIS and Nettalk on a parallel basis ? like keeping port 80 for IIS and setting some other port for nettalk. will it work?

or is it mandatory for the complete removal of IIS if i need to run nettalk?

Yes, you can run more than just one webserver on one machine. However, each webserver has to have its own port! So, when the IIS listens to port 80, you can make your NTWS listening to port 20000. Or 54321. Or 81.

Consequently you have to open both port 80 and 81 to the public and your users will be able to access your NTWS with an URL like http://123.123.123.123:81. If this looks okay to you and your users, its a solution.

If you prefer to avoid a trailing port-number _and_ like to have a symbolic name, rather than an IP-Address to surf to, then start reading this article: "Apache As A Reverse Proxy For Clarion Web Servers" by Ben Krajmalnik.

https://clarionmag.jira.com/wiki/download/attachments/399450/cmag-2007-02.pdf?api=v2

The article covers the basics on that port-number thingie. As the next step I suggest you to go to a service like No-Ip.com and obtain an address over there, which then points to your server. Like Jason.No-Ip.Com or whatever is still available. Make that address point to your http://123.123.123.123. Note: there is no portnumber in that URL, because the Apache (or IIS) will run on port 80, receiving the request for Jason.No-Ip.Com. The Apache (or IIS) will now look into a list of virtual hosts on this machine (Apache looks into a textfile named vhost.conf) for that Jason.No-Ip.Com, reads the accompanied IP-Address 127.0.0.1:81 and hands the request you your webserver, which then responds. The user does not see anything of this. All he sees is the address he typed into his webbrowser. I have a dozend webserver running on one and the same box, works great.

If you want to have a "real" webaddress, like www.Jason.com, you then have to fiddle with the DNS. Not difficult at all.

But get your NTWS running locally first.

enjoy and have fun
Wolfgang

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 10:05:40 PM »
Hi Jason,

>> The IIS is completely removed.

But it was there right?
Else where did the line
"Source File: C:\inetpub\sites\mywebsite.com\web.config    Line: 1 "
come from?

>> I open the application...nothing is generated.

you mean you do not see the WebServer log window? Clearly you need to see that. If you're not seeing that then you need to figure out why not. Perhaps you are missing a DLL or something. Or perhaps you need to set the firewall on the server to allow the program.

Or perhaps there is some other restriction - depending on the install of Windows. Like maybe it needs to be signed or something.

>> can i run IIS and Nettalk on a parallel basis ? like keeping port 80 for IIS and setting some other port for nettalk. will it work?

It can be done (as wolfgang describes) but serves no purpose to do this.
You are better off letting NetTalk just serve everything, your dynamic app and your static files.

cheers
Bruce

ntnewbies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 06:00:26 AM »
Hi Wolfgang,
Thank you very much for the fine detailed input. Yes, now Nettalk finally works! both localhost and as well as on other browser outside the server.
but as you say its right....it opens when i type : www.jason.com:2222

i would like to make it like if the client type www.jason.com/jsapp then it should automatically redirects to www.jason.com:2222

is there any alternative than going for noip.com? can i do it if i create another zone in dns?

jason

ntnewbies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 06:06:18 AM »
hi bruce,
my apology for confusing you.

i get the "Source File: C:\inetpub\sites\mywebsite.com\web.config    Line: 1 "
when IIS was installed in my VPS server.

but after i remove the IIS from the server, it cant run because i figure out that it was a wrong port number usage.

you mean you do not see the WebServer log window?
- what i mean is that i can see the log file but no data generated because i cant run even in localhost of the nettalk application.

now that i make it both IIS and nettalk to run on different port, all goes well.

But as per your suggestion, it would be better if i just maintain nettalk web server and delete IIS.

if that is the case, how can i display my index.htm file first when the customer opens my website
say for example : www.jason.com

my idea is when my customer type www.jason.com, it would open a index html file and one of the menu link will open the nettalk application (customer portal).

to achieve it, i should configure something in nettalk global extension?

also, whats the drawback of running both IIS and nettalk web server together?

thanks for your kind and patience reply to my newbies questions. appreciate it.

jason

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 09:33:52 PM »
Hi Jason,

>> if that is the case, how can i display my index.htm file first when the customer opens my website say for example : www.jason.com

WebServer procedure, NetTalk extension, Settings, General tab, Default page.
Set this to
'index.htm'

make sure index.htm (and other static files) are in the web folder.

>> also, whats the drawback of running both IIS and nettalk web server together?

it's a whole bunch of extra work to make this work, and gives you no return. Also it makes you put the nettalk stuff either on another port, or another domain, both of which just make the integration more ugly.

Plus it exposes your server to any flaws in IIS, again with no gain. So now you have 2 programs to keep updated, not just 1.

In other words, it's twice the work (well more than twice the work) and serves no purpose at all.

cheers
Bruce