NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Nettalk 4 - Locator not working (does not even appear)  (Read 3398 times)

bwhisler

• View Profile
    • Email
Nettalk 4 - Locator not working (does not even appear)
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:20:14 AM »
I have a question about getting the Locator to work in Nettalk 4 (latest version) and Clarion 6.3 ABC.

Attached is an example extracted from a larger application. I have two different approaches to the same very simple browse (single field) but neither shows the locator. I have looked at the Nettalk example for locator and have run that program successfully but mind does not.

Bruce or someone, could you please enlighten me as to what I am missing?

P.S. This is same example that was sent to support via email but apparently that got lost in somewhere along the way since I never heard anything.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
Re: Nettalk 4 - Locator not working (does not even appear)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »
All your template settings look ok. I would try updating your web folder and using the reload on the browser to clear the cashe. This is the usual cause of "weird" problems like this.

bwhisler

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply and to confirm that I am not going blind at least looking at the templates<g>.

I have already tried copy the web folder from the example folder (which did work there) but it did not make any difference. I thought that I had cleared the web browser cashe but not sure so will try that again.

Did it work OK on your computer?

kevin plummer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »
No I could not get it to work as I did not have your web folder and just copied an old one from NTWS4 but it is crucial that the web folder matches the version. I'm on NTWS5.10

Try copying your test app into the example folder and running from there. Even try to change the port number which will force the browser to load all the files again.

If that doesn't work I would strip out everything to do with the locators until I got it working. In my experience if the examples work your app should work with simple stuff like this.

BTW what browser are you using? If your not using FF get it.

bwhisler

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
Since I copied the "web" folder from the working example folder, I assume that would have the same effect of copying my application into the example folder. Also used a directory file comparison tool to confirm that they are the same. Even after the copy, mind does not work but example does - strange.

Also tried your idea of changing to a different port - still does not work.

As far as browser, I am using both Internet Explorer and Firefox (my preferred one).

Thanks again for your help and hopefully Bruce will take a look at it and see what I am doing wrong, but for now, I'm calling it a night<g>.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:13:27 AM »
Hi Barton,

Thanks for the example - I've been on leave hence the delay.

I'm looking at your TicketsType procedure.
there's no locator visible in your example because all the data is visible.
ie your page loaded browse can display 10 records, and you only have 4 in the data file.
adding some more records, and the locator becomes visible.

Your "Default Sort Order" setting on the Locators tab is unnecessary. You only need to use this if you are creating custom sort orders.
A better way to set the default sort order, is to go to the field itself, in the General Tab, then to the Sort tab, then tick on the option there "This column is the default sort order" (which I see you've done as well.)

Incidentally you don't need to enter "Custom sort orders" there - they are causing you some problems.
What you've entered are "case sensitive sort orders" - which are not, I think, what you wanted. If you remove those settings then the default is used.
Where you had
+TCKT:Description
it should have been
+Upper(TCKT:Description)
to be case insensitive.

cheers
Bruce

bwhisler

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 01:32:45 AM »
Thanks Bruce!

Guess I was expecting "Clarion" approach of seeing the locator even with just a few records but what it does make sense now that I know that<g>.

Also appreciate the other comments and will adjust accordingly. Some of what I had done was just to try to make locator appear.

kevin plummer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 03:05:29 AM »
Bruce is this different in NTWS5? My locators come up even if I have no data in the browse.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:56:45 PM »
Hi Kevin,

I should be more specific.

The Incremental locator is invisible if all records are displayed.
The "filtering" locators (contains, begins-with etc) can be visible all the time because the result of your seach may be "no records".

Cheers
Bruce

kevin plummer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 03:51:05 PM »
Thanks for the clarification