NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Nettalk 9 Server upgrade issue - Resolved  (Read 3486 times)

webwilcox

• View Profile
    • Email
Nettalk 9 Server upgrade issue - Resolved
« on: June 06, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »
I recently went from Clarion 9.1 using Nettalk 7 to Clarion10 using Nettalk 9 server edition.  I'm running Windows 10 Pro as my OS.  The only code change I had to make to my code to get a successful compile what when I was setting the packet variable.  Now I use packet.append as recommended in the documentation.  My application loads and runs fine.  I then start the web server and all is fine.  The second that I browse to the web page, the application crashes.

I've attached a screenshot of the application as it crashed.  This app has worked fine for years under previous versions of Clarion and Nettalk.  I'm just not sure where to start in troubleshooting.  The only other major difference that I can think of is that my OS is now Windows 10 as well.  Previously, I always ran under Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:34:07 PM by webwilcox »

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
Re: Nettalk 9 Server upgrade issue
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »
Hi Brad,

try moving your app and dct to a new development folder and re-compile letting nettalk create a new web folder and clarion copy any dependant files into the folder.

I've had some similar un-explained GPF's.

Hope that helps.

Kev

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:05:03 PM »
Hi Brad,

>>  using Nettalk 7 to Clarion10 using Nettalk 9

From your screen-shot I notice you have not updated your Web Server screen (as detailed in the upgrade docs.) Which I suppose begs the question as to what else might have been missed.

so I strongly recommend, as a first step, working through
http://www.capesoft.com/docs/NetTalk9/NetTalk8Upgrade.htm
then
http://www.capesoft.com/docs/NetTalk9/NetTalk9Upgrade.htm
paying special attention to the "Changes Required" sections.

Although it's somewhat less likely coming from NT7 (vs coming from NT6) you could also go into your web folder and remove all .gz files. Then run GzipAll.bat (from your application folder.)

Lastly, if you compile in debug mode, and copy \clarion10\bin\debug\clarun.dll to \clarion10\bin folder, then the GPF will contain a lot more useful information, which would help us in being more specific as to your problem.

cheers
Bruce

webwilcox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 07:37:25 PM »
Kevin and Bruce,

Thank you both for responding.  Here is what I have done but it hasn't helped yet.

1)  Create a new application folder and only move the .app, .dct and some .tps file over and recompile.
2)  Review the upgrade docs to ensure I have touched everything.  I did miss the web server logging control before but I removed it and added it again.  Other items I had to change were the items around dealing with packet variable and the options variable.  None of the others applied to my instance.

I don't get the same error now but the program still crashes.  I've attached the screenshot of the crash.  I did move the clarun.dll to the \clarion10\bin folder and change the project options to Debug, but not sure what to do after that.

Thanks again for the help.

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 12:32:51 AM »
Hi Brad,

I would test a couple of nettalk examples and make sure they run ok. Test 443 and the app that listens on 2 ports like your app. You should make sure you copy the latest ssl dll's into your app folder and the example might need them as well.

Let us know how you get on.

Kev

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 03:29:14 AM »
Hi Brad,

>> I don't get the same error now but the program still crashes.  I've attached the screenshot of the crash.  I did move the clarun.dll to the \clarion10\bin folder and change the project options to Debug, but not sure what to do after that.

I'm not seeing the current screenshot of the GPF?
I am seeing the error, but that's not a GPF. That's a "not responding" message which implies that you have an endless loop inside your ACCEPT loop, (or perhaps a critical section error).

Unfortunately it's very difficult to debug remotely like this. Perhaps you need to send me the app so I can duplicate here?

Cheers
Bruce
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:31:52 AM by Bruce »

webwilcox

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nettalk 9 Server upgrade issue - Resolved
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 07:35:13 PM »
Bruce/Kevin,

I found the problem and it was a local coding error on my side.  Completely outside of Nettalk.  So sorry for the confusion.