NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Site javascript error  (Read 2925 times)

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
Site javascript error
« on: August 10, 2015, 06:57:16 PM »
Hi

On an app which is running on a remote server we are seeing an error (in red) which momentarily displays saying 'Site javascript error' or 'Error in site javascript'.

If I access the site from a remote PC I never see any errors and never have any format problems but access from the same site where the server is (and presumably a more immediate connection) displays the errors and sometimes the error stays on the screen and the formatting of the page is lost.

Any pointers?

Keith
Clarion 10.0.0 build 12799
NetTalk 9.31
StringTheory 2.65
InsightGraphing 2.27

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Site javascript error
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:11:50 PM »
Hi Keith,

the error is there to detect problems in JavaScript. The text can be turned off on the Performance tab in the WebServer procedure extensions. However;

>> sometimes the error stays on the screen and the formatting of the page is lost.

In this case you have an error in the JavaScript. Inspect the error in the Firebug console to see what it is.

cheers
Bruce

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »
Thanks Bruce

I have turned off JavaScript checking as you advised (just in case it annoys someone or causes confusion).

But I have never seen an actual script error myself when running on my local machine or when accessing the central server.  I suspect that there is something amiss at this particular site from where it is being reported though this does seem to be  a long shot.

I wouldn't have thought that you could induce a javascript error which only shows up on a particular browser/machine combination (I think he was using Chrome) - maybe you could confirm.

I don't want to assume that this is a problem and chase a ghost if it actually has something to do with a setup.

Keith
Clarion 10.0.0 build 12799
NetTalk 9.31
StringTheory 2.65
InsightGraphing 2.27

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:58:19 PM »
it is possible to get an error in one browser, which does not affect another,
and it is possible to get an error related to the _data_,
but I agree that in most cases it's going to be a case of "affects everyone" rather than selectively affecting 1 user.

You can still diagnose on that machine of course using firebug (or chrome developer tools etc.)

cheers
Bruce