NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Which editor to use for simple formatting  (Read 618 times)

Ubaidullah

• View Profile
Which editor to use for simple formatting
« on: January 03, 2024, 08:39:14 AM »
Hi,

I want to provide an input box where the user can write text and do basic markup like bold, color, etc.
I don't want to overwhelm the user with too many options.
I also want to be able to programmatically insert text in specific places so need to be able to handle the markup.

Which of the available editors (TinyMCE/Redactor/CKEdit/ACE) would be suitable for this task?

Thanks
&
Regards,
Ubaidullah Nubar.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Which editor to use for simple formatting
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 10:12:38 PM »
Redactor is likely a good choice. Or perhaps the "Basic" CK Editor.

Cheers
Bruce

Ubaidullah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 12:34:20 AM »
Bruce, thanks for the reply.

Are there any plans to update redactor to redactor X or CKEditor to version 5?
TinyMCE seems to be v4 while the latest is v6.

The nice thing about redactor is that I can paste an image into the editor. But it replaces any other image pasted earlier as the image gets written to web\uploads as image.png and each paste overwrites the previous one.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 09:33:26 PM »
>> Are there any plans to update redactor to redactor X or CKEditor to version 5?

CK Editor 5 is not free, so I deliberately stopped at 4.
Redactor is shipped under an OEM license which I got from them (which allows you to use it for free).
It's also very not cheap. I'm not sure there's a need to update that at this time.

TinyMCE got impressively complicated to use, and understand, so I also stopped updating that.

Generally speaking the editors have a habit of breaking existing code when you update them. As i don't want to gratuitously break existing apps, I'm fairly cautious about upgrading the editors.

Of course nothing stops you implementing the editor of your choice. They're all just JavaScript plugins, so it's reasonably straight-forward to do - especially if you only have your own site to worry about.

Cheers
Bruce