NetTalk Central

Author Topic: MultiSite Host as a Service - failed to install  (Read 1794 times)

alan

• View Profile
    • Email
MultiSite Host as a Service - failed to install
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:15:54 AM »
Clarion 9.0, NT 8.18 SelfService 3.43

I have a couple website apps I can install and run as a service just fine.  But, when I try to run my mutltisite host app as a service I get the attached error. So, I changed one of my other apps to run as a service and it installed and started just fine.

I have administrator rights and the other app installed and started as a service just fine.

Suggestions?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Alan Schoolcraft

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MultiSite Host as a Service - failed to install
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »
my guess is that your program is dependant on some "outside" thing - like a SQL database. In which case you must add this as a dependancy so the SQL database starts first.

Another possible problem is that your app is using a network drive. Since these don't exist when run as a service (unless specifically configured as a Network user) the app would also fail.

Or maybe your app is trying to access part of the drive where the service user does not have access rights.

cheers
Bruce

alan

• View Profile
    • Email
Bruce,
 My host app is basically the example 59 with some very minor tweaks.  So, I took the multisite host example (59) and added SelfService to it.  That app also refused to start as a service - with the same error.

But, starting them as regular exe's and then clicking the "Install & Start As Service" button did cause them to be installed as a service (they show up in Service Manager).  But, they fail to run.

Finally, I went back to my regular NT website app and added SelfService.  It installed and ran just fine using /iss.

It seems there is something in the multisite host app that just won't run as a service.  Perhaps it could be a Windows 8 issue?  It would be great if someone else would try adding SelfService to the example app (multisite host (59)) and running it as a service.

Using Windows 8.1, NT 8.18, SelfService 3.43, StringTheory 2.08, and WinEvent 3.86
Alan Schoolcraft