NetTalk Central

Author Topic: 4.31 #17 Next/Last buttons  (Read 2912 times)

ccordes

• View Profile
    • Email
4.31 #17 Next/Last buttons
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:00:26 AM »
HI

I am upgrading an app to 4.31. What are the usual things to check for when the Next - Last buttons don't work? I don't think this is a problem wit the template, but I am stuck as to where else to look for possible problems.

TIA,
Chris
Real programmers use copy con newapp.exe

Poul

• View Profile
Re: 4.31 #17 Next/Last buttons
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »
in a recent exchange with Bruce he responded:

a) navigation buttons will disappear if the browse is currently displaying the "whole data set".

In my case i am losing buttons because my update could change the data
such that the updated row was no longer part of the filter - and this would sometimes trigger an overly zealous filter.(sql only)

All Browses or Just One? If one ,double check your filter and related assumptions.
otherwise is your web folder updated?

ccordes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:28:54 PM »
Hi
Here is what I found - it only LOOKs like the button isn't doing anything.
If I click on the button and then click refresh on the browser, the list redisplays properly.

Any suggestions?

chris
Real programmers use copy con newapp.exe

Poul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »
anytime a browse does not work, and a refresh fixes it, i suspect html(or js) where it ain't supposed to be. I think Bruce has caught all the standard stuff and wraps all the data making sure &'s and such don't burn you. I would look to any place you might be trying to control the presentation.  (headings, conditionals, any place with allow xhtml...)

I will set my records per page to 2 (to keep the size down )and test a few pages, if it does not navigate then view the source - usually you can see something suspicious, if it works sometimes - its usually data, though its been a while since i have seen my navigation break...

I recently had a case where i was appending some &nbsp to some comments/labels to control some spacing across spanned fields, and although it "looked ok" it was not "working" ...

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:41:36 AM »
Hi Chris,

When you click a "Next" button (or any button, or link, or whatever that triggers an async request) then you can usually see the request appear in the Server, on the log window.

The server then usually replies with something. In IE it's impossible to see this "something" but in FireFox (with FireBug) you can see the packet arrive in the "console" area of FireBug.

Now if the returned packet is "bad" for some reason, then the browser "does nothing". Specifically

a) if the server is returning "some element" that doesn't exist on the current page. This bombs the whole packet in 4.31 PR17 and earlier. In PR18 it ignores just this element and goes onto the next one. If the element is "unregistered" then  in PR18 (and later) it also tries to register it on the fly.

b) if it is not valid xHTML (ie valid XML) then the parser cannot parse it. To test the packet for correctness I usually copy it to the clipboard, then I go to http://www.validome.org/xml/ paste it into the box provided, tick the "welformdness only" check box and get it to validate.

Cheers
Bruce