NetTalk Central

Author Topic: I'm confused about how secwin works with NT 6  (Read 4976 times)

rjmiller

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm confused about how secwin works with NT 6
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
Hi, I have Secwin 6.05 sort of working with NT 6.17.  After going round and round with this I have the following questions:

1. If I leave default user as Demo/Demo I can get this user to login and access menus as well as secured procedures
2. If I delete security file and change from Demo/Demo to anything else in settings of global secwin extension... cannot login
3. If I go back to Demo/Demo and login and create a supervisor then it sends an email to that email address with a link... the link takes me to a login page that has a password field and a confirm field... what goes here?  If I assume it is for a new password... doesn't work.
4. I am not clear about the memory file/topspeed file.  I have memory driver, is the file being kept in the tps security file or only in memory?

At this point I would like to get it to work the way I have been using Secwin... the supervisor will create users with password and assign the access.  Where is this set.  I see in docs that it defaults to emailing the link... where can I change this?

Thanks.

RayA

• View Profile
    • My Web Site
    • Email
Re: I'm confused about how secwin works with NT 6
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:48:08 AM »
Great questions that I would be interested in hearing some answers.  It would be great if Bruce would start a new Thread on Secwin and NetTalk Web Server.  I have only played around with the new Secwin6 and not have used it in a production app yet.  I have a app that I am getting close to but not quiet ready yet to apply How about it Bruce? A Secwin/NetTalk Web Server Thread?   Maybe?  :)  :)

rjmiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:50:17 AM »
The database I am using seems to "sort of work".  For instance if I go to edit a user group... I can check buttons but when I open to edit it does not change.  I am not sure if this is a function of the memory driver or what.

I have also started with implementation of security ONLY by procedure.  Sometime it works and sometimes it doesn't.  For instance I implemented security on all browses and forms.  The browses show the key icon and the forms don't.  Not sure why.

If I change a user from operator to no access... doesn't seem to make a difference.

rjmiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:20:02 AM »
When does the memory table get updated after changes are made to access?  Does the service need to restart?  User logoff then back in?  Now things seem to work but no changes to app have been made... just pushing of buttons...

Hours spent investigating "magic"!

rjmiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:05:11 AM »
I have gone back to start... deselected option to automatically create a user Demo/Demo.  Created a new first user... automatically a supervisor.  Not able to get security to work reliably anymore.  I really am starting to think it is related to database.  Still cannot pin it down or get any type of consistency from it though.

I am spinning my wheels with this.

RayA

• View Profile
    • My Web Site
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:35:12 AM »
Just a quick thought ..... did you import the correct database ... by that I mean there are two databases you can import ... the one if you have the memory driver and the one if you don't.  I made that mistake when playing with it when it first came out.  I hope I will be at a point this comming weekend to start applying Secwin to my NetTalk app. 

What I would like to do is put only the Secwin procedures that I can get by with and put the rest in a separate administrative app so my main app doesn't get so heavy .... not sure if thats possible but I am going to explore that.  I know Bruce will give us some feed back as soon as he can.   ;D

bruce2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
Clearly more docs are required.

rjmiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »
Yes, I saw that... I have tried both... I am using the tps files now as I am hoping to eliminate some complexity... not that I really think that has changed things.

I currently have it running acceptably with the exception of user groups.  I can get it to do what I want but have to set access rights on each user.  The groups don't seem to do what I want or what I expect (not sure which).

I have been setting the users groups in a similar way I would in the desktop apps... operator with no access by default.  Then I give access to procedures and groups of controls.  Works with the users but if I make the user an operator with no access then assign to a group that has access to procedure and control group... nada.

Worse thing is that it has worked every now and then... I HATE MAGIC!

One thing that was my fault... too used to desktops... if you have an item in a browse selected... cannot just click on a control (radio button, etc) in another line item... gotta select that browse item and THEN select the control.  Things worked better once I figured that out.

Bruce... how long between refreshes of database.  Seems that some time passes from my changes as admin to when things take place (or I am believing in black magic again).

Rene Simons

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »
Hi,

I agree with RJM.
As great as SecWin is, it is also very complex.
E.g.The secwin friendly name: Do I use quotes or not? The compiler doesn't like either so I skip the "friendly" names.
Also I'd like to add user groups but the browse doesn't show any edit buttons so I started anew with implementing secwin with the same result. But I cannot figure out why that is.

I know that when secwin works it is abolutely fantastic. I have had great use for it in some win-apps
Imho the technique and functionality need to be separated in the docs with references to each-other but that's a lot of work to do.

Cheers,
Rene
Rene Simons
NT14.14

rjmiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »
Rene, I have not had any problem with using quotes in my "friendly names" but I am not sure why I need them.  Maybe my app is so small that it has friendly names from the procedure names themselves.

Still not able to get the groups/operators working properly, have you?  Starting to think that maybe it isn't my understanding but a bug.

Bruce, have you been able to reproduce this or have any suggestions as to where I am going wrong.  I am creating operators and groups as operators with no access and attempting to apply access to the groups to give the operators access as appropriate.  This is the way I use Secwin in my desktop apps... wrong for NT?

Rene Simons

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 12:04:39 PM »
RJ,
I don't think it's a bug.
It is just a matter of reading the jumpstart very very carefully. I found that out.
I took time to read  all secwin related entries in this forum. And learned a lot in thee mean time.
One thing I cannot grasp yet is adding new users.
The browse is there (witth demo Demo in it)
The Webbrowse is there and when I enter a new user I see the user in the Browse.
But later when I restart the webserver app, everything is gone. I do have the IMDB driver but probably I missed a few chapters.

Cheers,
Rene
Rene Simons
NT14.14

rjmiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »
Well... I have gotten past that :^)

I am using the topspeed drivers at this time... I also had things coming and going when I was using memory drivers.  I assumed that there was a problem with updating... etc.  I asked Bruce about it but he hasn't seen to respond.  Hopefully busy fixing things?

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »
Hi Rick,

I need a gap to work through all the Secwin stuff, but that gap hasn't happened this week so far. Hopefully soon though.

cheers
Bruce

rjmiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 04:26:17 AM »
Thanks, look forward to it.

There are a few other discrepancies I have found in docs... such as assigning operators and groups numbers of others when creating them.  I will try and add to edit form but if successful this will become a maintenance item as you update templates.

rjmiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:12 AM »
Rene... I think TimR found your bug with the friendly names... see thread "NetTalk 6.18 and Secwin compile errors"

RJ