NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Mobile mode problem in 6.40 - can't login  (Read 2533 times)

peterH

• View Profile
Mobile mode problem in 6.40 - can't login
« on: August 22, 2012, 05:20:36 AM »
There seem to be a problem with loggin in when in mobile mode. Nothing happens, I'm just being returned to the index page.

Steps to reproduce:
create a new app, no dict
add NT global extension
run the server app wiz, all defaults

Set _mobile_= 1 when running the app and you'll see.

Peter
NT 6.40
Clarion 6.3

peterH

• View Profile
Re: Mobile mode problem in 6.40 - can't login
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:30:21 AM »
Am I really the only one seeing this?

Peter

Vinnie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:39:15 AM »
Hi Peter

I am using Clarion 6.3 and NT6.40

I am able to login to my web server app OK using Iphone and Sony phone.

Not sure if this helps.

Cheers

Vince

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:16:07 AM »
probably a good idea to post an example app here Peter.

That said, there are definitely some ways of "confusing" the login screen. In the short term you can experiment with turning off the check boxes on the Security tab of the Web Server procedure. (Change Session Id on Login / Logoff etc.)

Cheers
Bruce

peterH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:16:07 AM »
Hi Bruce,

probably a good idea to post an example app here Peter.

Well, I thought I did that by including "steps to reproduce" in my original post.
Even the simplest, wiz'ed-up app exposes the behaviour I'm talking about.

However, it turns out that un-checking both "Change session on login/out" and "Delete session on logout" makes it work as expected.

Any chance you could elaborate a bit on what these switches do/how to use them? I guess they were added for a reason.

Peter

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:28:12 AM »
Hi Peter,

>> Well, I thought I did that by including "steps to reproduce" in my original post.

Never underestimate the value of an actual app & dict. Clearly you had one, so never be shy about posting it. Posts with examples _always_ get more attention than posts without. While your steps were indeed simple, even the fewest number of steps can matter. There are a bunch of options when wizarding an app, and I'm guessing you didn't test with every possible combination. It's a LOT easier for me to work with actual code, rather than hypothetical code.

>>Any chance you could elaborate a bit on what these switches do/how to use them?

They do exactly what they say on the tin. The first changes the session ID on login or logout (while preserving the contents of the session). This is good for security as it prevents something called a Session Fixation attack. Not exactly the most common problem on the web today, but obviously every little bit helps.

The second deletes a session (and hence the session values) when the user logs out. Again a security feature, it forgets the user when they logout, leaving nothing behind in session values for bad people to possibly exploit. This is one of those "just fine off, but just that little bit better on" kind of things. Especially for really sensitive data (like banks.)

The problem with the login page is that it's possible to get there and delete the session at the same time. This causes a problem for the login form itself. So some careful thought needs to be added to the login form to make it "work" - even when no session exists.  In an ideal world the login page should be "requested" when the user is ready to use it, not sit there as a "dead" page. But of course many apps redirect to the login screen when the session dies etc.

cheers
Bruce

peterH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:34:49 AM »
Hi Bruce,

Never underestimate the value of a good explanation  ;)

Thanks
Peter