NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Users security settings blocking my page  (Read 3369 times)

bekeland

• View Profile
Users security settings blocking my page
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:27:45 AM »
I have an issue where sometimes a user cannot get my page to come up.  Here is how the client described the issue:

"This morning an IT officer from a bank called an explained the issue to me.  He said that when the screen for the login and password  pops up, it is identified only by an IP address.  Apparently, security settings block such IP identifiers because of fraud, etc.  It seems that instead of the IP we need to have an  identifier show there..."

I'm not sure what to do with this.  I am using v4.30.  My web server is sitting on a godaddy VDS.  The login page is called by my client using http://ipaddress/LoginForm.  There is no domain name associated with this particular IP, though I suppose there could be if it would help the situation.  Please let me know if that is the solution or if I need to do something in my web server to return some other info in place of the IP number.  Thanks much.

Brian Ekeland

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
Re: Users security settings blocking my page
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »
I wonder if the issue is not that the site is an IP address, but that the browser switches from a named URL to an IP address. I think there is a setting in most browsers that is something like "allow redirection". What I am trying to find out is if there is a way for the IP of the computer running the NTWS software can be cloaked to show the domain name, instead of an IP. I don't know if this can be done... maybe a local DNS server? I'm not sure, but it's causing me some problems because my customers want their sites to look like their domain name.
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 01:20:43 AM »
Hi Brian,

I'm not 100% sure but

>> There is no domain name associated with this particular IP, though I suppose there could be if it would help the situation.

sounds like it'll fix the problem. (of course it may then spawn a different problem, because you are popping up a different domain.) I suppose one question - why does it "popup" in a different window instead of staying in the same window?

cheers
Bruce

Mike Grigsby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:54:21 AM »
What my clients do is run their website on Google, and the link to their database (NTWS) is at their business computer. The problem is the domain name does not follow, but instead it goes to an IP address.
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 04:50:48 AM »
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Ultimately all requests with a name turn into an IP address - but I think in your case you've got an IP address "hard coded" into a URL on your page.

cheers
Bruce

bekeland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:01:38 AM »
I know my client has the IP address hard coded when calling my NTWS.  I am going to have them setup a domain with forwarding to the IP of my NTWS then change the hard coded IP in the calling web page to the domain name.  I don't know how quick they will be about it, but I'll report back when I know something.

Mike Grigsby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
Hi Bruce, We discussed this before; I was hoping someone figured this out.

So a client has a website hosted on their server: MyCompany.com. It has a link to go to their inventory list (the NTWS based software I sold them, and running on one of their computers with a static IP address). When someone clicks the Inventory button, it sends them to the other computer, but the URL in the address bar changes from MyCompany.com to their computer's IP address, (E.g., http://204.43.49.201/InventoryList).
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Larry Sand

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:30:38 PM »
Hi Mike,
You can point a subdomain to the other computer.  Then when you request the inventory list you'll see: mysubdomain.mycompany.com/InventoryList instead of the IP address. 

Larry Sand