NetTalk Central

Author Topic: I need a pint of Guinness to fix this possible bug...  (Read 1656 times)

Devan

• View Profile
    • Email
I need a pint of Guinness to fix this possible bug...
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:35:55 PM »
Just got a report today from a client using an NT site that we only just upgraded to 7.2 last week.  They are entering in a student into the database with the Irish surname of O'Sullivan.

Problem is, when they do this, they cannot then find the student again in the Student Browse locator by typing in "O'Sullivan".  It comes up with 0 results.  They can however, type in "Sullivan" and because the Locator is a "contains" locator, the record comes up.

However, when they select to [Change] the student details, the update form either throws an error that the record is not found in the primary key, or it brings up a blank record, and the form itself is all always messed up as the CSS for the 6 tabs don't kick in and the form is displayed as a continuous running form with all the tabs under each other.  The [Ok] and [Cancel] buttons also don't work.  Only happens for any student with a forward single tick in their surname.

(I found some older students in there with the forward ticks in their name, and they exhibit the same behaviour which was never reported by the client before, so I only assume that it used to work okay under NT 6.x but broke under 7.x ???)

Conclusion:  NetTalk hates Irish names... :)

I have worked around this for now by changing the names in the database to use back ticks (`) instead of forward ticks in the name and things seem to be working again, but perhaps we need to code the templates defensively against this for the future?

Time for another pint of the black stuff...

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I need a pint of Guinness to fix this possible bug...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »
ok, I've fixed the locator part for 7.26
I've not been able to duplicate the form behavior though. Can you reproduce in an example?
Is the O'Sullivan name the primary key?

cheers
Bruce

Devan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I need a pint of Guinness to fix this possible bug...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 12:09:32 AM »
Hey Bruce,

I've attached some screen shots to this email showing the strange form behaviour.  You can see at the top of the form that the previous student name is retained in the header too.

The Surname is NOT the primary key.  I have an auto incrementing Integer for that.  The back end is MySQL.  The browse list is default sorted by Surname though, which IS a key but not the primary key specified on the form etc.

Cheers,
Devan

[attachment deleted by admin]