NetTalk Central

Author Topic: cannot access domain name from the LAN network  (Read 3096 times)

Robert Iliuta

• View Profile
    • Email
cannot access domain name from the LAN network
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:57:48 PM »
Hallo,

I have a domain and I cannot access the data base from the LAN network where the WebServer is installed. From outside of the network it’s ok. What could be the problem? They could access if they put ip of the server , but why doesn’t work with the domain name?

Thank you for any help,

Robert

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
Re: cannot access domain name from the LAN network
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 02:49:44 AM »
Hello Robert,

the Domain Name represents the IP-Address, its just easier to memorize :-).

This means, when a user types a Domain Name into a brwoser, the browser has to ask someone who knows the according IP-Address for this Domain Name.

The request is sent to a Doman Name Server (DNS). Once resolved, the browser gets directed to the machine that holds your Webserver.

You have to take care that your domain name is listed in the DNS.

But who to achieve that? Look at your domain seller, whether they provide you with the ability to set the domain name matching your IP-Address. It maybe take up to 72 hours until your server is reachable under its domain name.

Do you run your webserver on a local machine in your office? Do you have a static or a dynamic IP-Address?

If you have a dynamic one, that changes every 24 hours, you will most likely need to use a service like www.DynDNS.org or www.No-Ip.com. There you can get a (sub-)domain name like Roberts-Webserver.dyndns.org or something like that. They offer a software, that updates their DNS with your dynamic IP-Address once a day, so that you are reachable even with changing IPs.

However, you can now make www.roberts-webserver.com pointing to roberts-webserver.dyndns.org which points to your IP of today.

hth
Wolfgang

Robert Iliuta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 03:58:00 AM »
Hallo Wolfgang,

Thank you for reply. maybe I didn't explain all.
This domain is registered and I have DNS pointed to IP (it's static) of the server that run my WebServer. On the router I do some port forward for port 80 and 7070. Every incoming to this ports go to WebServer. Everything works ok. When I'm ouside of this network and I write the domain in web browser it works ok. The problem is that on the LAN netowrk where the WebServer is installed. Everyone from this network cannot access the data base if they write the domain on the browser. They only access the data base by ip or computer name of the server. https://192.168.1.1:7070 or https://server:7070 .
We cannot access the domain from the server that run our WebServer data base?

Robert

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 04:17:24 AM »
Now I understand.

I assume that this ais a problem of your router.

The same happened here too. Once I exchanged the router with another brand (for some other reasons) I now can access www.my-domain.com (which points to my LAN) from inside my LAN.

In case you can get your hand on a new AVM Fritz! your problem should be gone...

http://www.avm.de/en They build the best boxes I know of!

Bye
Wolfgang

Robert Iliuta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 04:26:57 AM »
Thank you very much  for this info.

This router is a linksys an old model. They will replace this one with a new model from Linksys. we don't have AVM Fritz in Romania. I didn't see anyone :-) , I was working a lot with linksys and I'm very happy with.

Hope this will solve our problem too!

Good day!
Robert

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:00:26 AM »
Hi Robert,

Some (dare I say most?) routers will not allow you to do what you want.
We have exactly the same issue with the router in our office.

Think about it for a moment. Let's say the domain is www.biodiversity.co.za. That dns points to the IP address (of the _internet facing side_ of our ADSL router. As long as I'm _outside_ the router everything works as expected.

Now what happens if I'm inside the LAN? I get the IP address, for the _internet_ side of the router. This confuses the router. When it tries to route the packet from itself (Lan side) to the internet it ends up routing the packet to it's own (Internet side) address. At this point most fail to route it back into the LAN again.

Cheers
Bruce

Robert Iliuta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:58:12 AM »
Hallo Bruce,

Noted and thanks for information.
I will let everyone know if it will work with the new router.

Robert

Gordon Holfelder

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »
Hi There-

There are a lot of routers that don't handle this well, so be forwarned. My network tech suggested adding your own name resolution to the local mahines. Depending on the version of windows that you are using:
   Windows NT                  %Systemroot%\System32\Drivers\Etc
   Windows 95                  <drive>\<Windows folder>
   Windows for Workgroups      <drive>\<Windows folder>
   Windows 3.1                 <drive>\<Windows folder>
   MS-Client 3.0               <Boot volume>\Net
   Lan Manager 2.2c Client     <Boot volume>\Net
There is a "Hosts" file that can be edited to define name to IP resolution. There should already be a file there that you can look at to properly define. I haven't tried it since my laptop travels and I'd have to reset this file.

Good Luck,
Gordon