NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Browse control passing parameter to form  (Read 2573 times)

Thys

• View Profile
    • Incasu
    • Email
Browse control passing parameter to form
« on: January 11, 2017, 05:48:35 AM »
Hi,

I have something that feels like a NT first grade question, but can't get the answer.

On a browse I need to add a parameter for the form control. Without calling the form as a popup, I can call it via a URL with parameters. But the URL can't be used when the form is called as a popup. So I have to resort to session variables. Is there may an alternative to session variables?

Thys

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Browse control passing parameter to form
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:54:55 AM »
>> On a browse I need to add a parameter for the form control.

what sort of parameter?
Typically the form gets the ID from the browse - everything else it needs it can calculate from that...

cheers
Bruce

Thys

• View Profile
    • Incasu
    • Email
Re: Browse control passing parameter to form
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »
Bruce,

This was again one of the cases where I have one smaller update form being called from multiple browse procedures that are placed on a large update form (mimicking queues in list boxes on an update form). The issue was how to identify which browse is calling the small update form, being a called as a popup. A unique ID from the browse would only work for change and delete actions, but not for insert. So I needed something else to indicate which browse is calling insert on the small update form. If the small update form is called as a page, I can add parameters to the URL. But as a popup there are no parameters. It would have been nice for the browse instance to have it's own packet of information that can be used when generating the update form.

I solved the problem by copying the small update form's procedure for each instance of the browse. Each instance will then know what ID it's being called for.

Thanks
Thys