NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Login Before Frame  (Read 2433 times)

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
Login Before Frame
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »
I have been checking out Web Example 7 but cannot follow what is happening. I see most procedures are wrapped in the Frame Page but I thought frames were not advised.

Even so my app index page has a browse menu item for 2 tables. I have a login form but if I set it up to call the Login Form first the Browse menu is always showing. I just cannot see for the life of me how to call up the Login Page full screen and not show the index page.

I have set the WebServer Net Talk extension to Default Page = LoginForm and LoginPage to login.htm but whatever I try does not work.

If anyone could guide me it would be appreciated.

John

DonRidley

• Don Ridley
  • Global Moderator
  • donaldridley2011@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Login Before Frame
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »
Try this John, in the menu you want to hide prior to login, look for "User Must Be Logged In."  This tells that procedure not to display unless the user has went through the login procedure.

Don
"Eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth."

NetTalk 12.55
Clarion 11

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 05:51:34 AM »
I set the Index Page and all the browses (just in case) but still no joy regrettably.

John

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 06:23:12 AM »
OK got something working. The index page appears with Home|Browse|Login and the Login Window is shown below. If I click on Browse I get "IE cannot display the page".

I set the Web Hnadler to set all pages to require User Login.

This is not very nice and would like to make it work like the example where the LoginPage is displayed before the index page.

In the WebServer I have DefaultPage = LoginForm and LoginPage = login.htm but it still shows the index page.

Example works fine (web7) and cannot for the life of me see why that does and mine does not.

John

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 06:40:36 AM »
GOT IT!!!!

I imported the Web7 Page/frame procedures and it worked.

So then I checked the manual I bought (great idea) as I recall reading something about loading pages and frames. A pretty fundamental issue.

I think I was trying to load a form direct and not a page. So wrapping the form in a page (Inside Page) makes sense now.

You live and learn.

John

DonRidley

• Don Ridley
  • Global Moderator
  • donaldridley2011@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 07:10:20 AM »
Awesome John!  Glad you got it going!
"Eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth."

NetTalk 12.55
Clarion 11

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »
>> but I thought frames were not advised.

correct. Not advised. Doesn't mean they're not supported though, and hence there are examples for them.
But you definitely do not want a FrameSet in your application - no way. On a mobile device they'll be a real problem.

cheers
Bruce