NetTalk Central

Author Topic: All my troubles with NT6  (Read 3844 times)

Skip Williams

• View Profile
    • Email
All my troubles with NT6
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:06:05 PM »
Hi Bruce,

I finally got some time to spend with NT6.  I like it but am having some problems (6.06).

Header and footer on an existing app compiled in NT6 are a problem. See links.. www.skipwill.com/images/nt5header.png is the NT5 header and www.skipwill.com/images/nt6header.png is the NT6 header.  Same source for both and respective web folders for each. Haven't been successful so far in tracking it down.  Any thoughts? I really like the nt5 header and would like to keep it.  Pretty much the same problem with the footer as well in nt6.

The NT6 wizard works great...but...when it finishes, c8 gpfs.  I restart c8 and 'recover' and all is there.  This happens whether i am wizzing a app or just a procedure. C8 gpfs each time on the wizard template.

The wizard apps look nice on the desktop and on an iPad 2 and all of the problems below are ok on these.

However mobile has problems.

1. No login button on the login form. On my android phone, pressing GO on the keyboard seems to log it in.  Pressing GO on an iPhone keyboard does nothing. I cant login with an iPhone due to lack of a login button.

2. Once logged in on the android, I get a menu for Home, Browse, Login (shouldn't it be Logout?..it is on the desktop). I press Browse and am taken to the Browse menu items...Client and Property (the two dct files that I chose to wizard). Pressing either the Client or Property menu item does nothing at all.  I cannot get any further using mobile. :(

What info can I provide to help with the above problems, or is it just me?

Thanks!!

Skip

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
Re: All my troubles with NT6
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:14:47 PM »
Hi Skip,

Did you read the NT docs converting from 5 to 6? It may help fix some of your probs.

Kev

Skip Williams

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:54:32 PM »
Hey Kevin (and Bruce),

Yep, I did.  However, after reading your reply, I went back and re-rtfm again :)
Turns out, I had passed over an important piece of information on headers and footers. I evidently retained some of it and missed some ???.

I made the changes recommended and headers and footers in the converted app are better...not like I would like them, but, better.

So Kevin, thanks for the gentle kick :)...and Bruce, don't worry about the first point. I would like for the look to be the same as nt5, but thats not a big deal in the scheme of things. 

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:33:47 PM »
Hi Skip,

the addition of an extra Div in the header (for most people) means a little work tweaking the CSS, but it's important to realise that with the right CSS it can look like anything you like (including the way it looked in NT5). I'll be doing an example today on that, so more on that later.

Regarding the mobile, yeah it's working at the moment inside a fairly narrow set of parameters. I wrote up something a couple days ago. see here;
http://www.nettalkcentral.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=36&topic=2901.0

Remember the mobile stuff is bound to be a bit rough still - it's early days there.

Cheers
Bruce

Skip Williams

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 06:50:43 AM »
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the tips!  Since I have the headers/footers at least working, I can continue on the app under nt6 and leave nt5 behind. I can worry about the mobile side as nt6 progresses.

Another quick question.  I have a button on each row of a browse.  When clicked, I want to go to a procedure, passing a parameter. See www.skipwill.com/images/jsok.png

The button calls the procedure just fine, but how do I pick up the parameter when I get to ShowProperty? Its in p_web:jsok when it leaves the browse procedure...how do i retrieve it in ShowProperty?

Thanks again!

Skip

peterH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »
Skip,

A passed parm can be retrieved from the value queue with

p_web.GetValue('parm')

Peter

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:43:22 AM »
Peter's right.

An even better approach is to do a

p_web.StoreValue('parameter')

and then after that, just use the SessionValue (in filters, expressions and so on).

cheers
Bruce

Skip Williams

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »
Thanks Bruce and Peter,

I'll do it that way.  I just thought passing it as a parameter would be less bother...less embeded code.

Skip

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »
Hi Skip,

no, I think you misunderstood the answers.
You _must_ pass it as a parameter. That part was good.

We both answered what you _do_ with that parameter in the procedure that is being called, in order to use the parameter.

you can use p_web.GetValue to get the parameter - and that's fine but limited to "this thread".
If the receiver is a Browse, or Form, then a better approach (in the receiver) is to do a
p_web.StoreValue - which copies the parameter into the session queue. Then the receiver procedure uses the "session queue" value wherever this parameter is used. This allows the receiver to work across multiple threads.

cheers
Bruce

Skip Williams

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 06:24:13 AM »
Thanks Bruce.

I got it sorted out.

Did I tell you that I REALLY like NT6? <g>

Skip

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »
don't tell me, post it on the newsgroups :)

cheers
Bruce

Devan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 11:48:18 PM »
Just to corroborate the OP - I am getting a GPF after running the app wizard too.  Upon restart and selecting 'Recover', everything seems to be there.

Running NT6.07 on C8.0.8778
Windows 7 Pro machine with 16Gb RAM

No biggie as everything seems to be there, and the wizard, in 10 seconds, has saved me about 2 days work!!