NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Web folder to Blob  (Read 2575 times)

Skip Williams

• View Profile
    • Email
Web folder to Blob
« on: November 19, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
It was mentioned in the webinar that the web folder can be put in a blob and served from there. I like this a lot better than distributing the web folder to folks who might want to dink with it.

I have looked at example 40, but my question is...is there a quick and easier way to get the web folder into a blob without having to go to each subfolder and subsubfolder and select the files for input into addblob?

I guess I am looking for something to recurse the web folder.

Thanks

Skip

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Web folder to Blob
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
Hi Skip,

>> It was mentioned in the webinar that the web folder can be put in a blob and served from there. I like this a lot better than distributing the web folder to folks who might want to dink with it.

I'm not sure that "dinking" is really a problem, at least not from the client. The only files they'd benefit from dinking with is the CSS - and that's probably a good thing - if they want to change the css they're welcome to do that.

On the other hand deployment of a single TPS file is a lot simpler than deploying a whole web folder, so there's an attractiveness there - especially for Local-mode-compiled Exe's.

I had in mind to let the template create a "MakeBlob.Bat" file, and run it automatically from GzipAll.bat. This would recurse the folders, and do an AddBlob etc. Then in the app have a switch to include the blob file as the default serving source, (followed only afterwards by the web folder if the blob is missing something.)

I haven't had a chance to do all this yet, but if others also like the idea (comment here) I'll adjust it a bit on the priority list.

cheers
Bruce

Devan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:33:22 AM »
I think I asked this question during the webinar.

This is something that will certainly be of interest to me. 

Cheers,
Devan

Johan de Klerk

• Johan de Klerk
    • View Profile
    • Designer Software
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 04:21:51 AM »
Hi Bruce,

That would be a great option.

Regards

Johan de Klerk
Clarion 10, NT 11.57

Skip Williams

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 04:41:55 AM »
Hi Bruce,

I spent some time last night with example 40 and changed it to ignore the blob file if it failed to open properly, was missing etc. It already uses the web folder if a file is missing from the blob.  I also changed addblob to recurse the web folder. just a bit more work to to there, but I think I have solved my short term problem.  I have a demo at a client's location week after next and I wanted to use the blob file technique...and also NT6 as it is a demo using desktop browser, iPad, and smartphone...no pressure there<g>....

However, I like your idea of the .bat file and template change better. One thought might be for a runtime switch to have the blob file take precedence over the web folder or the web folder take precedence over the blob file. The latter being nice to test small changes and tweaks without having to rebuild the blob file.

Skip

peterH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 04:47:38 AM »
+1

Peter