NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Manually created lookup button  (Read 3171 times)

hkalmbach

• View Profile
    • Email
Manually created lookup button
« on: December 20, 2017, 11:49:47 PM »
Hello,

I would like to create manully a button on a form that behaves like a lookup.
The reason is the following. There are two ways for a user to select the correct entry. The first way is done by a normal string field with lookup activated where the user selects from a browse. The usual way. The second way is different, in principle also a selection from a browse, but a browse with childs where the user can select from different levels.
But this is not the problem, the question is, is it possible to create manually a button which calls a browse in selection mode and fill a string field of the form after coming back with a selected record. (I can not use the normal lookup, because the field I want to fill is already a string with lookup, but this lookup chooses the first way of selection.)

I hope this is understandable.

Thanks for every help.

Cheers
Heinz

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Manually created lookup button
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:57:19 AM »
hi Heinz,

The lookup procedure can be a form, so I'd likely try this by setting the (regular) lookup button to call the form and then do what you want on the form. That said;

>> But this is not the problem, the question is, is it possible to create manually a button which calls a browse in selection mode and fill a string field of the form after coming back with a selected record.

there's a lot to unpack here.
creating the button manually - that's obviously simple enough.
calls a browse in selection mode - also easy enough
"coming back with a selected record" - that's a lot more tricky, because remember in the web you "never come back", you just go forward.

So the approach here will be very different depending on if the lookup is a popup or a page. that would be my next question.

but, I'd go back to the beginning, I think a regular lookup will do what you want, with a LOT less effort...

cheers
Bruce

hkalmbach

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 02:18:27 AM »
Hi Bruce,

thanks for your answer.
But I am not quite sure if it helps.
I need two lookups for one field at the same time. The simple one with the browse and the other one with a form with several browses.
I already solved to use both ways, but not at the same time for one string field in the beginning form.

You have an idea for that?

Thanks
Heinz

hkalmbach

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 07:14:15 AM »
Hi Bruce,

one addition: I am working with pages here, not popups.

Cheers

Heinz