NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Using password manager apps/extensions with NT 14.04 apps  (Read 888 times)

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
Using password manager apps/extensions with NT 14.04 apps
« on: October 18, 2023, 04:03:40 PM »
Hi Bruce,

I have a client that uses LastPass password manager.  It is an extension of his Chrome browser.  It seems LastPass is filling in the user name and password and auto-submitting the login form.  It then repeats this over and over.  See the attached screen shot of the web log from the Host.exe.  The user has disabled autofill/auto submit in the LastPass settings and that seems to resolve the issue for now.  The user claims this did not happen when the host.exe and apps were on T 12.41.  I have two questions:

1.  Can you think of a reason why this would happen with NT 14.04 and not NT 12.41?  Note I'm not sure this did happen with NT 12.41, but wanted to ask anyway.
2.  Users who insist on using password managers can configure (turn off) auto fill/submit globally or for specific sites.  However, I would like a way to control this in my NT apps.  Is there a way to prevent autofill of NT password fields?

Thanks,

Jeff King

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Using password manager apps/extensions with NT 14.04 apps
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 05:21:19 AM »
HI Jeff,
Last Pass has been making changes - some good, some not so good.
The real answer is to have the end user TURN OFF AUTOFILL for YOUR application.  When they get to login for your application, they will see the Last Pass button and they can press it and it will Auto Fill the fields one time.
If you want to keep from having the folks autofill and login, put a CAPTCHA on your login.  Then see how your folks like it!
Ron

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 09:26:18 AM »
Ron,

Thanks for the response.  I hate Captchas with a passion!  So, not going that route. 

I wonder what is causing the login to be sent repeatedly?  Maybe Last Pass has the wrong password and keeps re-submitting?  Hope Bruce has an answer.

Jeff

osquiabro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 12:53:40 PM »
try in 4.Value routine

loc:extra = clip(loc:extra)&' autocomplete="off" '

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 08:23:58 PM »
You can set the autocomplete for the field as a template setting now.
'off'
is one possibility
A random value is possibly another.

I don't know what LastPass is using, so really have no comment as to how that behaves.

Cheers
Bruce

osquiabro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 05:03:09 AM »
"You can set the autocomplete for the field as a template setting now. 'off' "

is true, but not all NT version have this feature

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 06:39:24 AM »
Bruce and Osquiabro,

Thanks for the suggestions, but autocomplete is not checked (on) for the Loc:Login or Loc:Password fields.  For now I only have the one client using Last Pass and they have adjusted the settings for my NT 14 apps. 

Jeff