NetTalk Central

Author Topic: webserver javascript for login  (Read 2747 times)

robirenz

• View Profile
    • Email
webserver javascript for login
« on: April 16, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »
Using the javascript login that comes in several of the examples.
I'm having trouble with some users not being able to login, they can type in the login and password but then goes nowhere.
An error message appears at the bottom of internert explorar saying there is an error in the script.

Usually I can cure this by setting internet explorer privacy down to medium, and of course accepting cookies, but on some computers this just does not work.  I have tried activating everything in the options buy on some corporate computers this has become a daunting task.  And I end up telling them to go home an try in on their home computers or an internet cafe.

Is there a special trick anybody has in order to go around this problem?
Or is there any other kind of login/password technique that would also work always?

Best Regards...

Roberto Renz

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: webserver javascript for login
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 04:57:29 AM »
Hi Roberto,

NetTalk requires the browser to support cookies, and JavaScript. (Not Java, just JavaScript).

If you get an error in script message, then that would point to something being wrong with the script.
If they're using a really bad browser there may also be a problem uncompressing compressed files. So you make have more success turning off the "pre-compressed files" option - although this results in a slow-down for everyone.

Cheers
Bruce

robirenz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
Bruce,

I don't think my question has been answered.
I'm trying to see what kind of permissions are needed in internet explorer in order to run the login/password javascript embeded in the web folder script file.
I can't really remember which script it was it I think it started with ms*  but can't really remember.
I know it does not use Java, pure javascript and cookies..
My problem is that there are so many places in internet explorer that can turn off javascript or cripple it that it should would be nice to be able to tell the clients, to aproach the problem with single solution.

Best Regards...

Roberto Renz

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »
Hi Roberto,

I'm no IE expert, so others may be able to contribute with more useful advice.

However as far as I know, cookies and JavaScript are enabled as;

Tools
Options
Security tab
then set the "custom Level" for the appropriate zone.

cheers
Bruce

Poul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:42:13 AM »
for corporate sites oftentimes just asking the user to add your site in the trusted sites list might help - and is a bit easier for users to understand - of course this assumes that a trusted site is allowed to use javascript and cookies and no third party stuff (firewall,av ...) is being overly protective.

robirenz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »
Most of the time it's the corporate sites that give problems.
and I wish there was an easy way to just do like you suggested to add to trusted sites, but many times that is not enough. 
Another thing I could do is recreate my whole site without a password for those speciall circumstances where they just can't get in. but I don't really wish to do that.

Anybody using some other kind of password checker technique that would work?

Best Regards...

Roberto Renz

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »
You may find bypassing you password screen is not enough - NT uses Javascript and Cookies (SQ) throughout the templates. So you may find they just get stuck on your next screen. You could easily test this by publishing some of the examples and getting them to try and connect.