NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Developing Mobile Application using Nettalk6 for Dummies  (Read 3735 times)

ntnewbies

• View Profile
    • Email
Developing Mobile Application using Nettalk6 for Dummies
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:02 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I need to create a header browse and detail browse for the driver to enter the delivery of item using mobile phone offline (perhaps android phone).

then synchronize/send the data to the office computer when the driver return to the office.

Can we use Nettalk 6 for this purpose?

I have searched nettalk documentation and i have found out a small portion mentioned that nettalk 6 have the mobile browser support.

for a start, i import webserver and webhandler and change webserver setting to support mobile browser. then when i compile i get error message:

variable %netexapps is not defined in netweb.tpw

i have downloaded the latest update for nettalk 6 and using it in c6.3 in winxp and reinstalled the template but still in vain.

Please let me know which part of documentation or example should i use to accomplish my goal.

Jason

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Developing Mobile Application using Nettalk6 for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:17:42 PM »
A good place to start is this thread;
http://www.nettalkcentral.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=36&topic=3003.0

>> variable %netexapps is not defined in netweb.tpw

This means you don't have the GlobalExtension "Activate NetTalk Web Server" in your app file. that's unrelated to mobile, which may mean you're making this app the hard way. You may want to make sure that the NTWIZ.TPL file is registered in your template registry, and then wizard up a simple app for the tables you want - get that working (on the desktop) then apply the mobile options as discussed in the thread above. that's the approach I would take.

Cheers
Bruce

JohanR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »

Hi

I see mention of offline?
NT would not work for offline?

Johan

ntnewbies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:41:37 AM »
Thanks Bruce. I did figure out about that netexapp solution shortly after i post this message. Now it is solved.

Yes Johan, offline even in PDA not viable with NT6?

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:33:08 AM »
no, offline is not viable in NT6. Not in NT7 either. NT7 makes web apps, so you need connectivity to interact with them.

cheers
Bruce

ntnewbies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »
bruce,
for my project scenario, what do you suggest then?

what tools that i should have?

terryd

• View Profile
    • Davcomm
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 01:41:31 AM »
Hi Jason
We have created a distributor/courier system. What I do is let the drivers send an SMS to a predetermined phone number and send just the waybill number.
I then have a modem loaded with sms credits attached to my server PC. Using Winevent's sms procedures I poll the sms number every few seconds, parse the message, find the record in the database and update the waybill events table for that waybill. Since the sms automatically has the date and time I also use that information. My system is web enabled so that the clients can log in anytime to see the current status of their packages.
Hope this helps
Terry Davidson
Windows 10 64 bit/Windows7 64bit
Clarion 9.1.11529/Clarion10 12567
Nettalk 913
Nettalk 1015
StringTheory267/Winevent515/XFiles298/MessageBox239/Cryptonite186

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 06:04:17 AM »
Hi Jason,

to build an offline system you have lots of options. Depends on your skill set and your time-scale.
So what languages do you know? And when do you have to have this by?

cheers
Bruce

ntnewbies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 06:34:54 AM »
Terry,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it my friend.

My customer is a food distributor. His drivers delivers the food to each customers and then he need to record the delivery in their mobile phone offline. The order detail is not fixed and is purely on an ad-hoc basis and upon customer request once the driver arrive at the customer place to deliver. For instance, the driver may go to customer place to deliver 5 unit of a food item. But, the customer may change mind and ask for 7/8 unit.
thus, the driver must record such delivery in their mobile phone.
then once they return to office, they will sync with office pc to the desktop system.

ntnewbies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 06:44:05 AM »
Bruce,
I am using clarion 6.3EE & Clarion 8.0.9644.
I have 26 hours to show a prototype.
With such limited time, i can only show the customer for the "first round" of presentation for the web based online application developed using Nettalk 6 and it is accessible using mobile phone online.

But i know the customer will prefer mobile offline system. So i think i can drag the time further. What are the tools you recommend?

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 06:46:37 AM »
I can't recommend anything, before October.

In terms of writing offline systems today you can build native apps on iOS in Objective-C, and on Androind in Java. Various other phones have various other languages.

26 hours to write an app for a platform you know nothing about? good luck mate - you're gonna need it....

Cheers
Bruce