NetTalk Central

Author Topic: EV SSL Certificates and IE8  (Read 4268 times)

Rob Mikkelsen

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - flashpott
    • View Profile
    • Email
EV SSL Certificates and IE8
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
I am installing an EV SSL certificate on one of my sites.  All looks good (green bar included) with NetTalk 6.38 for Opera, Firefox, Safari and Chrome, but Internet Explorer 8 does not get far enough into the handshaking process to receive its first page (using the auto-redirect to SSL).  I have tried not auto-directing to SSL but all SSL pages create the same condition.

I have checked my internet settings and find that everything appears correct.  I have also tried using IE8 on a couple different computers with the same result.

One thing:  I am overriding the DNS of the site by entering the URL into my Hosts file.  I have tried using a URL that is assigned to my development computer but, while I am expected a certificate error, I get nothing.

What could it be (except that it is Internet Explorer 8!) that could be preventing the certificate exchange in IE* that does not affect any other browsers?

Thanks!

Rob

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: EV SSL Certificates and IE8
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »
does IE 8 give you any clues as to what might be wrong? Any kind of error message maybe?

Are you testing IE8 on the same machine as the other browsers?

Cheers
Bruce

Rob Mikkelsen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »
Bruce,

I turned on error reporting in the webserver and tried it again.  Nothing.  No error thrown by the server.  The only error that I see is when IE8 eventually times out - I get a "DNS Error - Server cannot be found" error.  I have tried connecting via the local IP address and the result is the same.

I am using the same machine for all five browsers.  Only IE8 is being stubborn.  I have connected using other browsers from other computers (using the URL below) but IE8 just isn't playing nice there, either.

I will try to leave the program up for a few days.  If you (or anyone) would like to give it a try, point your Internet Explorer browser to the following URL:

https://www.neinonline.com

Feel free to try it with other browsers as well.

The certificate is registered to trailerlocators.com so it should complain.  If you get a certificate error using the URL above, you will have achieved a better success than I have.

As I mentioned before, all other browsers I have tried have had no problem connecting to the server.

My IE8 connects to other EV SSL sites such as E*Trade just fine.

The server is built with Clarion 8.0.8973 and NetTalk 6.38, running on Windows 7 Professional on an old Pentium 4 XPS computer (I think it's about time for an upgrade) with 4G RAM.

Thanks!

Rob

Rob Mikkelsen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »
I found that both IE8 on my secondary computer and IE9 on the host computer are unable to connect.  I checked the security settings on IE9 and enabled all protocols.  Still no joy.

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »
I get the attached image error using Firefox. If you have accepted the security warning I don't think you will get it again. So maybe IE is the only one really working?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:14:08 PM »
>> The certificate is registered to trailerlocators.com so it should complain.  If you get a certificate error using the URL above, you will have achieved a better success than I have.

running in IE - (I've got IE9, but put it into IE8 mode, although I don't know if that will help).
I got the attached error. Then I ran it from an XP machine, with IE8, and got the same error. Clicked on "Continue". At which point I connected to your site fine (in both IE 8 and 9).

which got me to thinking. Perhaps your IE8 is not able to connect because it can't find a cipher in common with the server. This thread is worth reading;

http://www.nettalkcentral.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=36&topic=1023.0

I'm thinking what you can do is turn on a really low cipher, then try again and see if it connects. If it does then I guess the next step is to find the highest security cipher that your IE8 supports.

Cheers
Bruce

[attachment deleted by admin]

Johan de Klerk

• Johan de Klerk
    • View Profile
    • Designer Software
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
Hi Rob,

Tried it on XP machine with IE8 and got the same certificate error screen as Bruce.
Clicked on "Continue" and it took me to your site.

Regards

Johan de Klerk
Clarion 10, NT 11.57

Rob Mikkelsen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 06:35:17 AM »
Good point regarding the cipher, Bruce.  We had to reduce it to work with our government computers that are running IE8.  I thought that unrestricted computers were not encumbered by those problems.  I will try "dumbing it down" to see if I can make it work.  You have been saying for years how lame Internet Explorer is - I am starting to believe you.

Johan, I do find it interesting that you were able to connect with IE8 on an XP machine.  I have a similar configuration on one computer and had zero luck connecting.  I will have to check the accepted ciphers on that.

Thanks, all!  I will post my results here.

Rob

Rob Mikkelsen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »
I don't know why I didn't think of the trauma the last time I did this for my day job!  Rather than systematically step down through the levels of security, I too the easy way out and copied the cipher that finally worked for the restricted FAA computers:

Self.SSLMethod = NET:SSLMethodSSLv23
    Self.SSLCertificateOptions.CiphersAllowed = 'RC4:!COMPLEMENTOFDEFAULT'

Now, I get a good TLS1 connection using IE8 or IE9 which may not be the most secure cipher on the planet, it answers the mail so I can continue forward.

Thanks, all!  Maybe one day Microsoft will bring Internet Explorer into the 21st century.

Rob

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:45:13 PM »
>> Maybe one day Microsoft will bring Internet Explorer into the 21st century.

they did - it's called IE9, and indeed IE10. I might not be an IE fan but you can't blame MS for users using old versions of the browser.

Cheers
Bruce

Rob Mikkelsen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 03:31:35 AM »
Actually, IE9 had the same problem.  Perhaps IE10 finally got it right...