NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Google analytics anyone?  (Read 2404 times)

rainerwallenius

• View Profile
    • Email
Google analytics anyone?
« on: May 20, 2015, 03:23:43 AM »
Hi

Has anyone used Google Analytics (or any other statistic, advertising stuff) in a Nettalk-served application?
Do You put google´s code on every procedure?
Does it slow down the show?
... or is it even useful?

:: rainer

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Google analytics anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:35:59 AM »
Hi Rainer,

First you need to consider that some of your site is "public" (and analytics for that is good) and some is behind a login (and analytics there is pretty useless.)

Also - it's only useful at the "page" level, so it doesn't work on popups, or content-body refreshes or anything like that.

>> Does it slow down the show?

yes, of course.

>> Do You put google´s code on every procedure?

up to you I guess. It can be added globally (via a global .js file) but it depends on what you are trying to do.

Cheers
Bruce

rainerwallenius

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:54:03 AM »
Okay, here is what I have been thinking.

The payroll system can be entered in demo mode. Demo is pretty fully funtional - except that the data is reset every night.
What I would like to know is: what are they interested in, what do they try out - which procedures interest them? We could use that info on demo/marketing.

The system consists of some 50 reports, 80 browses and tons of file exports.

Another question is of course about the paying users: Are there some procedures or methods they visit or do several times - that could be an implication of bad design from my side.

I have been planning of making my own "analytic tool" but Google's tool might give me better background info than just an ip-adress.

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:02:44 PM »
from what you said I think you would be better off logging all this data to a table and creating your own. That way you can customise what you are logging like button press's etc and tweak it depending on what data you want logged.

rainerwallenius

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »
Hi Kevin and thanks for Your input.

Yes, I am afraid You are right but there is a drawback in this approach. It involves one of my least favorite ingredients: work  :P