NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Got NetTalk Web and Office Inside working  (Read 16306 times)

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
Got NetTalk Web and Office Inside working
« on: June 29, 2008, 08:16:52 PM »
Hi all, I've been trying to determine how to provide reports for my customers. In part, I wanted to be able to have customers download reports as CSV or XLS files into Excel (ala Salesforce.com). Recently, I think it was Bruce who mentioned in passing something about using Office Inside eventually.

I have a very promising, very simple, example attached. I'd unzip it in the NetTalk Web Server directory probably (I use example 2 as the blank for test apps, so maybe in that directory - I don't think it will overwrite anything). Under your web directory you'll need to create one called "reports". Obviously you need the Capesoft Office Inside template, and you need Excel running on your server to generate the spreadsheet, and the client would need it too.

Everything is really in two simple procs and mostly in one or two embeds. I'd be interested to see if you have any ideas for enhancing this example. I think it should work just as easily with the Word example (both are from the Editable Reports example in Office Inside. BTW, I was involved in the beta testing of OI, but never have mastered it, so there's probably a lot more to learn there.

I've got a few things with cell formatting that are not working, and I'm trying to figure out how to get the _busy.gif file to appear after pressing the button (without using an intermediate procedure). You'll probably see I was messing around with it appear as a field when the value changed by pressing the button.

I'd love to figure out how to get the Simple and Complex examples of the Editable Reports to work, but I can't quite fathom it yet.

I'll be letting the user select the report type (xls or csv).

Finally, I want to allow the customer to determine the order they want the fields to appear in (maybe with a list box that can move items up and down in order, and select which fields they want).

At any rate, I hope this example is useful in getting your creative juices flowing with Office Inside.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:32:40 PM by Mike Grigsby »
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Got NetTalk Web and Office Inside working
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:17:42 AM »
Hi Mike,

Nice example Mike. As you know I've been planning to do an Excel example for some time now, and this is a good place to start. Do you mind if I take this example and expand it a bit, and then ship it as an official example?

Cheers
Bruce

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
Re: Got NetTalk Web and Office Inside working
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:04:13 AM »
PLEASE DO!!! And feel free to add the simple and complex editable reports from OI while you're at it! <g>
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA