NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Recommendations on how to update Web directory  (Read 2235 times)

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
Recommendations on how to update Web directory
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »
Just exactly what should the procedure be to update the Web directory? The problem is that so much of my apps are customized with style sheets and images, that I'm reluctant just to copy over a folder on top of it all.

If I copy the contents of the scripts directory, and compare the all.css (the only one I'm modifying), will that get me there?
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations on how to update Web directory
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:52:25 PM »
Hi Mike,

Are you editing the shipping CSS and JS files?
If not then you should be ok copying mine over yours, since your stuff will remain untouched.

The scripts folder is the most important one, and this has to be tightly syncronised with the generated CLW code.

The styles folder is the next most important because I add, or tweak, styles from time to time.

Ideally Images should also have different names to me, but this is less of a big deal because missing images are both obvious, and don't "break" the site.

So the bare minimum is to copy the scripts & styles.

Cheers
Bruce

Poul

• View Profile
Re: Recommendations on how to update Web directory
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 02:18:33 PM »
Hi Mike,

I used to touch some of the files, but updates were killing me.
I now look for techniques that negate touching anything bruce ships in the web folder.

i have just one .js that i sometimes use to replace. (a stub, stripped down tinyMCE for performance reasons only  )

both css and js let you do things in ways that allow you to override what bruce ships, i suppose your images and such might be a concern, I assume you are not necessarily replacing  the shipping images but concerned with bruce introducing something that you already have - perhaps you keep a master folder of changed/new files that you (re)apply after updating the web folder?

Even though i have different apps with completely different looks/functions i have up until now successfully kept all my customizations all together - so my web folders are consistent. putting my css together in the same files, using the same images from project to project etc(even if they are project specific)  and things that are truly deployment (customer) specific as opposed to app  specific should go in different folders anyway. (I consider all of bruces stuff to be std App specific (except the picture folder - that should really be considered demo data IMO)

if you are messing around with all/common stuff. i stopped doing that too.
i untick the combine common files and the serve pre-compressed boxes.
and the only time i think about them is when i must deploy for final release/test.
even then i think i only worry about it where the performance is a concern.

so when i apply a new update i just copy the entire web folder in to my web folders
(for each project that i am testing  the new build with) 

admittedly i have a couple of projects that i froze at specific releases when i shipped them.  As i try a new pre-release i usually pick one or too representative apps and if all goes well, i will pull things forward on an as needed basis - if something does not work it stays at the previous version.