NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Multi-Host, and mixed SSL \ Non SSL sites  (Read 3523 times)

debraballenger

• View Profile
    • Email
Multi-Host, and mixed SSL \ Non SSL sites
« on: October 15, 2014, 04:20:28 AM »
Hi All,

I have a webserver that I would like to do multi host on.  But my web  server is both secure and non-secure.
Do I have add another web server to multi host to handle mixed sites, or will the dll site with mixed handle  the mixed servers?
And if I do have to modify Multi-Host is there anything that I need to watch out for?
Thanks
Debra

Vinnie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Multi-Host, and mixed SSL \ Non SSL sites
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 06:48:06 AM »
Hi Debra

No this can not be done.

I do have a Multi Site host but only on port 80 non secure.

I also have a secure site on port 443 but that runs on a separate exe.

On the non secure site when the user presses the login button I redirect them to the secure site.

This will only work for one secure site port 443 and multi sites  non secure sites on port 80.

I think the main problem is still that the www.sitename is encrypted for the secure site. There may be an option in the future the sort this but not now.

Cheers

Vince

astahl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 08:06:54 AM »
Hi Vinnie,

So you have an exe for non-secure port 80 and a seperate exe for secure port 443? How do you call the secure exe from the non-secure? How did you handle your certs?

Ashley

Vinnie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »
Hi Ashley.

The non secure site is port 80. This is a multisite NetTalk host. This enable the single IP address to check the http://www.sitenames and conect to the correct web server.

The Secure site is on port 443. This site can only be called from https://www.sitename. I can only have one secure site on the single IP address.

If the user enters the http://www.sitename address then this is directed to the port 80 address non secure site.  On this site I have a 'Login' on themenu . this has an url to https://ww.sitename which switches to the secure site login page. The user does not see too much change except the secure padlock.

The Certifacte and key (which I created five years ago so I remeber it being easy) I created using the Nettalk tools which creat the Certificate and the key.

I now have two files in \web\certificates folder  cpslive.crt and cpslive*.key  (cpslive being my webite name)

The Certificate is autorised by Symantecs (Verisign) then .

When I say web server this of course does not use Microsoft IIS server stuff. Server is Windows 7 with NetTalk and Clarion DLL's and my EXE's and DLL's andof course my crt and key files loaded. 

If you want to see it work then website is http://www.cpslive.co.uk
secure site http://www.cpslive.co.uk (you will not be able to login)

Hope some of this helps

Cheers

Vinnie

astahl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »
Hi Vinnie,

So you are using the multisite exe and compiling your actual NTWS's as dll's correct?

So when you login your are now in the secure site, so all pages going forward are using the secure site and not the non-secure site is that correct?

Thanks Vinnie

Ashley

Vinnie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »
Hi Ashley,

Yes you are right on both points.

The Multisite exe is running three sites all DLL's. One of which is a cut down version of the main Secure site running onport 443 which the user has to login to to get access to.

astahl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 04:29:22 AM »
Hi Vinnie,

What do you mean a "cut down version of the Main secure site"? Are you running your apps on an in-house server or an external host like Rackspace?
It worked using SSL when I ran it on locally on my machine, so I am really thinking this is a IIS problem.

Sorry for all of the questions but I have been trying to track down the problem either with my app, IIS, or with my certs.
Been working on getting the SSL side working for 2 weeks, very frustrating.

Thanks man!

Ashley

Vinnie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 07:05:29 AM »
Yes I am running on a machine in my office which is just a stand PC running Windows 7

I have not used Rackspace so can not help with this but I am not sure that you have to use IIS.

I assume you can just copy the correct files from your local pc onto the virtual pc and run the app.

Cheers

Vinnie

astahl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 08:34:58 AM »
Hi Vinnie,

So if I understand you correctly...I would have the non-secure app display the main menu and allow people who are not logged in do non-secure things like view static webpages and such.

Then from the non-secure app I would call the login page via an url to the secure app. The secure app then takes over.

Ashley

astahl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 02:43:03 AM »
Hi All,

Finally got it working using SSL!!!!! Grin I just had to remove the entry in IIS which our ISP put in. IIS is a pain in the you know what. Reading Bruce's help file along with the discussions with contributors on this thread both public and private are priceless!

Thank you all for the help and support you have given to me.

Ashley