NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Where to install files  (Read 3066 times)

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
Where to install files
« on: November 28, 2011, 04:35:16 PM »
I have a Rackspace server. Got it all configured at last!! FTP etc. I even bought a new domain dedicated to my web enabled app hosted with another ISP so they have created an A name (whatever that is) which will point to Rackspace.

Now FTP is pointing to C:\inetpub\ftproot

When I start my server (this is NOT a service yet) via Remote Desktop the server runs. I type in http://ipaddress:88 but nothing happens. Same if I use:80 - I know - IIS is running on this server so I need to take account of that when I decide on the port.

The thing is, where should the exe and web folders be?

Should they be in C:\ or where they are now C:\inetpub\ftproot? I have tried both but no joy.

Once I know I have the correct location I can start troubleshooting etc.

Obviously I want my users to type in my new domain name www.ambritsoftware-uk.com which should then go straight to the server and launch the app with the server.exe already running as a service.

Heck, scary - I am even starting to understand some of this! I think <g>

Many thanks

John

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
Re: Where to install files
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:36:36 PM »
Hi John,

It doesn't really matter where you install your files as ong as all the nestled sub folders are there and called the same.

Firstly, make sure your server is listening on port 88. I normally do this via a config file so I can easily change without recompiling my apps.

Secondly, make sure port 88 is not being blocked by windows firewall. Try disabling to test first and then adding a rule.

It could also be a hardware firewall block (but unlikely) so I would test turning off the IIS service and trying to connect via port 80 which sounds like what you want long term anayway.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
a) Uninstall IIS from the rackspace server - you don't need it.
b) Set your program to run on port 80.
c) where you install the files to is irrelevant.
d) if you want to FTP files to the server you will need to install an FTP server
e) make sure your web server, and ftp server are unblocked in the Windows Firewall running on the machine.

>> I want my users to type in my new domain name www.ambritsoftware-uk.com which should then go straight to the server and launch the app

the exe is already running (as you noted). So nothing "launches". It just serves the pages requested.

cheers
Bruce

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »
Thank you.

I only installed IIS as I needed to install the FTP server and Rackspace recommended I did that.

As per my private email, that is where they really screwed me up. Wish I had never heard of IIS <g>

Anyway thanks for the advice and will follow it. Just one thing ....

Can I DISABLE IIS rather than uninstalling it as I had so much hassle with them I am really reluctant to remove it.

Thanks

John

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »
yes it runs as a service. So stop the service and then change it to manual startup. Google it to find the service name.

Also, if you use a program like logmein you don't need ftp as you can drag and drop files + it also has a better remote control than remote desktop.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »
we uninstalled IIS on ours (it came pre-installed) and then used Filezilla for FTP.

cheers
Bruce

Rene Simons

• View Profile
Side topic rackspace
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:32:34 AM »
Hi John,

I am curious.
Which configuration did you aquire at rack space?
Do you have a link to the secific page on their site?

Cheers,
Rene
Rene Simons
NT14.14

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 03:17:03 AM »
Hi Rene

I signed up to a Windows server (has to be <g>) 1024mb RAM, 40gb HD at £37gbp or $58 USD monthly but UK had a deal with 60 GBP credit - may still be on.

John

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:20:08 AM »
Yes can stop the IIS service but that stops FTP also. Had a problem trying to put Filezilla on there for some reason and get it working. Scared silly about uninstalling IIS as there was so much hassle in the first place and with an unmanaged account it is worrying.

I got Filezilla on there running as a service but my FTP client software could not connect, probably because I was unsure of the settings.

So, just to clarify, if I keep IIS running, presumably it does not matter so what port do I use?

Or do I follow the instructions I came across on another thread whereby IIS can be reconfigured to listen on another port or something?

Thanks

John

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 03:35:28 AM »
>> I got Filezilla on there running as a service but my FTP client software could not connect, probably because I was unsure of the settings.

probably you hadn't added the program as an exception to the firewall. that's the thing I forgot straight after installing. ditto the web server. Under Windows 2008 the firewall doesn't prompt you to unblock unless you ask it to.

>> So, just to clarify, if I keep IIS running, presumably it does not matter so what port do I use?

if you keep IIS running then it is "using up" port 80. You can use any other port you like for your app, but then the url to use the site has to include the port number.

>> Scared silly about uninstalling IIS as there was so much hassle in the first place and with an unmanaged account it is worrying.

Given that you're clearly not an IIS expert (neither am I) you have no idea what ancillary effects IIS will have on your machine other than just consuming ram and cpu cycles. You will need to be responsible for keeping it updated, and managing the security issues created by leaving it there. It being an "unmanaged account" has nothing to do with it. This is "your machine" you can do anything you like on it. Don't be relying on Rackspace techs to do stuff for you. It's not hard to set up a server, it just takes a bit of effort and googling. It's by far _not_ the simplest server to configure, especially for FTP.

>> Or do I follow the instructions I came across on another thread whereby IIS can be reconfigured to listen on another port or something?

sure that's an approach. Then you just need to worry about long-term ram and cpu usage, and security issues. Honestly, setting up an FTP server like Filezilla is too easy to be messing around with IIS.

cheers
Bruce