NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Printer Formatting Suddenly Changed - Suggestions?  (Read 3090 times)

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
Printer Formatting Suddenly Changed - Suggestions?
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:01:33 PM »
Clarion 9.1
Nettalk 8.33

Customer just moved the NetTalk Web server and printer to a new building.  Just a move, no changes.
However, now the NetTalk generated reports all have a formatting problem.  Looks like the font is larger than normal and strings that line up horizontally with each other now run into each other.  Doesn't matter what report is run.

No changes were made to the computer, no changes to the application, and the same server attached printer.  The printer is configured as the default printer.  Windows 7 OS.

On the browser end, different browsers, different printers - all that used to display the PDF fine and print locally fine but now display and print with the formatting problem.

I thought this would be a problem where the server no longer had a default printer, but it does - hardwired CAT 5 connected and set as the default system printer.  Printing locally from a Clarion desktop version of the application prints fine.

I'm stumped - any suggestions of what to look for?
Mike Springer

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
Re: Printer Formatting Suddenly Changed - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »
Is your app running as a service? If so try in desktop mode. If it works then the printer has dropped out of the service mode.

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »
Hi Kevin,
No, it's running from the desktop - not a service.
Mike

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »
One clarification - the formatting problem is definitely that the font size is larger for some reason.
Mike

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 08:30:07 PM »
Hi Mike,

>> No changes were made to the computer, no changes to the application, and the same server attached printer.  The printer is configured as the default printer.  Windows 7 OS.

hmm - do I detect the stench of burning underware in the morning?

My guess would be that the Font you are using on your reports is not available either on the server or possibly it is on the server, but not on any workstation. So the first thing I'd do is know exactly what font you're using on the report - make sure it's a TRue-Type font, and make sure that font is installed on the server.

Incidentally if you open the PDF on the server itself - what do you see there?

cheers
Bruce

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »
Ahhh... the smell of burning underware early in the morning - NOT!

Well, I hate this... been on line with the customer, checked:
Correct Font (Arial) is installed and active and usable.
Generated the report and wrong font.
Saved the PDF and open in Acrobat and print - bad.
Open Word doc and use the same font and print - OK.
No change in printer, no change in printer config, no change in printer driver..

Sniff, sniff, is that burning underware?

Well, then we did what all good techs do - restarted windows and guess what - yep - it prints the right font now.

I hate computers...
Mike