NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Uploading files to another web server  (Read 1945 times)

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
Uploading files to another web server
« on: November 15, 2008, 10:18:48 PM »
My main web host allows unlimited file space (well, at least until they bill me next year<g>), but the server I run my NTW apps on has very limited space. Can anyone think of an easy way of uploading files from one computer / server to another site? I'm thinking of running a helper app that FTPs the files from the NTW web\upload folder to a folder on another web server at another address.

Am I overthinking this because I'm missing something basic? Thanks for any ideas.
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Uploading files to another web server
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:27:10 PM »
Hi Mike,

there are a few approaches here.

a) allow the upload to the NTWS, but then when a file arrives you can then move it off to your other server. At that point you could use anything - email, ftp, whatever. (you could even use a web client) - It all depends on what is on your main server.

b) you can send the file _directly_ to the main server, by just setting the URL of the save button on your form. However, this does imply a lot of "integration" between web pages on the two servers, as presumably the form contains more than just the uploaded file.

Of course, the question then becomes - what is the file for, and who needs to _retrieve_ it? (you can obviously create a link in the NTWS page to the file on the main server page if you like, if it's just simple file storage and retrieval.)

Cheers
Bruce