NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Prototype developer notes  (Read 8665 times)

Larry Sand

• View Profile
Prototype developer notes
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:25:51 AM »
Since NetTalk web server uses the prototype Prototype library for Rico, I've been leveraging it in JavaScript that I write.  In doing that I've found these Prototype developer notes very helpful and thought that I'd pass them on:

http://www.sergiopereira.com/articles/prototype.js.html

Note the drop down in the upper right corner where you can get other translations/versions like:
http://www.sergiopereira.com/articles/prototype140.js.html

Larry Sand

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Prototype developer notes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 10:45:28 PM »
Hi Larry

be aware - in NetTalk 5 I'm changing from Prototype to jQuery.

Cheers
Bruce

Gregg Matteson

• View Profile
    • Custom Program Solutions
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 05:02:19 PM »
For those that want to get ready to use jQuery I can recommend a new  video series at http://www.lynda.com . It's a 4 hour course and the gentleman does a nice job. Note that using their viewer to watch their videos there is a tool at the bottom left of the screen that allows you to increase the speed of the videos. This guy talks a little slow so this was useful in reducing the time spent viewing the videos. The subscription  for a month costs $25 .

Be aware that subscribing monthly causes an automatic billing to occur every 30 days unless you stop it. I'll often stop the subscription before renewing if I have too many commitments in the coming month.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Regards,

Gregg Matteson

Kindest Regards,

Gregg Matteson

'Software that's actually easy to use'

Larry Sand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Bruce.  Do you plan to still use Rico?  I see that Rico 3 can use jQuery.  Any other big changes we should know about?

Thanks,
Larry Sand

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »
Hi Larry,

Although I don't plan to use Rico, I am coding with a view to allowing the code to be as "happy playing with others" as possible. So nothing "should" prevent you linking in Rico3 if you like.

The main reason for the switch is the level of documentation, and number of "plugins" which are available for jQuery. It was a toss-up between a Prototype-Rico-Scriptalicious approach or a jQuery-jQueryUI approach. Frankly either set would be ok, but jQuery seems to be documented, and has more community support.

There are some other "under the hood" changes, but these probably won't affect you overmuch. I'm trying to make sure that NT4 apps are as compatible with NT5 as is possible - obviously there easier it is for people to upgrade the more likely the upgrade will be done.

I know we've discussed the record-id being in the form before, and that's something I've changed.

Cheers
Bruce