NetTalk Central

Author Topic: 6.05 and Internet Explorer 9 and Mobile  (Read 3392 times)

jtailleur

• View Profile
    • Email
6.05 and Internet Explorer 9 and Mobile
« on: November 25, 2011, 02:10:14 PM »
Weird situation.  I have a website I created using Nettalk 6.05.  When I go to my site using Google Chrome; everthing works as it should.

If I go to my site using Internet Explorer 9; I can login, but when I display my browses, I can't select a record (so I can't view or change it), the same is true when I try to go to the site with an iPhone 4S.  The login normally has a button to save (login); but it is missing from the mobile version so I can't even login from a mobile device.

I generated the base of the project with the NT Server App wizard.

Any thoughts on what I might be able to check?

Also, I have a Blackberry Torch (9800) and it is not being detected as a mobile device.  Any way for me to add it?

Joe.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 6.05 and Internet Explorer 9 and Mobile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »
Joe,
I think the starting point is the IE failure. Is the site online, or can you send me an example?

With regard to the mobile stuff - that's very raw at the moment and only works in a narrow set of parameters. So hold that thought for a couple weeks or so and we'll follow up again there later.

With regard to the auto-detect of the Blackberry - please send me the "User-Agent" string of your blackberry when it connects - ie check the log.

You can force it into "mobile" mode though by adding ?_mobile_=1 to the URL in your blackberry.

cheers
Bruce

jtailleur

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »
Hi Bruce,

The "User-Agent" string is as follows:

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Language: en

Joe.

jtailleur

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Just an FYI.  I took the example 3 (simple with login), and set it to "Mobile" in the Webhandler procedure.  I get the same behavior (no login button and nothing happens).

Joe.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:22:48 PM »
>> I took the example 3 (simple with login), and set it to "Mobile" in the Webhandler procedure.

Probably an excellent one to work through as example 3 has not had any special attention to make it "mobile". the steps below probably apply to your own app as well. (As mentioned in the webinar the mobile stuff is in alpha, meaning that there are an uncommon number of restrictions at the moment.) To make example 3 work in mobile;

a) set it to "page" mode not poppup mode.
(Global extensions, Activate Web Server extension, Advanced Tab, "popups" = NO.

b) If it doesn't auto-detect your mobile device, or if you want to test mobile on the desktop, go to Webhandler, Actions, Set mode to "mobile".

c) WebServer - Set "Tab type" to "Rounded" or "Plain".
(WebServer procedure, NetTalk extension, Settings, Styles, Form, "Form Type".

d) Header procedure needs work - specifically loose the Border extension, and simplify the xHtml. Using a wizard generated Header, and Footer, is a good idea here - however doing it by hand is straightforward (especially the header, which probably already contains your menu that you _don't_ want to trash.

the mobile version of the header should contain something like
<h1>Example 3</h1>
you can make the desktop one different if you like.

note that both header, and footer, have "This is a HEADER" and "This is a Footer" set respectively.

e) Global buttons need refreshing - go to WebServer brocedure, Settings, buttons, and "delete" all the buttons (they're re-appear as you delete them).

f) the LoginForm procedure needs a "heading" - at the moment it's blank.

g) the login form overrides the text on the "save" button using the following line of embed code;
  p_web.site.SaveButton.TextValue = 'Login'
to override the same text, on mobile, use
  p_web.site.SaveButton.MobileText = 'Login'
in the same place.

h) For both Browse procedures; Goto Settings
Go to FORM tab, Show Buttons/Close tab, "Include Close Button" - tick this on.

i) PageHeaderTag procedure, go to the Extensions, Menu, Browse menu, both Items - remove the IMAGE setting there.

j) then - as mentioned in the webinar, you'll want to tweak the browses to make them "look better" in Mobile mode. Fewer columns, inline Change & delete buttons and so on.

Of course some of these restrictions - will be lifted in the near future - but this should help get you going for now.

cheers
Bruce

jtailleur

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:05:37 AM »
Thanks Bruce,

I went through and added my missing headers and made sure I did (or re-did) the rest of your suggestions.  It's definitely working better than it was.  It's not quite 100%; but it's getting very functional. I still have some issues in mobile mode; but I will await another build before I worry too much about it.  Right now this is a proof of concept project and I am quite thrilled about how functional it already is.  Now if I would just have won an iPad at CIDC I could be testing a tablet.  :)

Joe.

jtailleur

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:07:41 AM »
Oh, the issues with Internet Explorer (just FYI for everyone else) is that under compatibility settings, I.E. was set to view "Intranet" sites in compatibility mode.  Once I toggled that check mark off; Internet Explorer now works.