NetTalk Central

Author Topic: GPF When Sending Emails Pt3  (Read 9616 times)

bruce2

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GPF When Sending Emails Pt3
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 07:02:47 AM »
I haven't had a chance to revisit the email thing yet. The tests in C8 seem ok, so I need to fire up the old C6 install to see if there's something different there. It might just be a timing thing, or it may be more than that.

One tip with the other forums is not to open multiple tabs to the forums at the same time. doing that can cause interesting behaviours.

useless

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GPF When Sending Emails Pt3
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »
When I last looked at the API calls the clarion runtime was doing, in C7/8 after the thread was started it went to sleep for upto 250 milliseconds or just went sleep(0) to pass CPU processing back to the OS and other apps. This is what I use to monitor the API calls in dlls and so on, its very eye opening and useful! http://www.rohitab.com/apimonitor

I havent looked at the API calls NT makes yet but is the callbackwindow starting on its own thread? The debugview comments suggest to me it is so could you not build something into NT like I've done in the example apps where it posts events only once an event has passed through the accept loop? Just like what you got me to do with the example apps I've knocked together to demonstrate this problem. BTW you can still get a GPF in C7/8 if you start threads too quickly so I'm surprised you have not seen this in C8 but then you didnt see the C6 gpf's either so theres a difference in PC's at the very least.

It does raise eyebrows when I see comments like it could be a "timing issue" because in a multithread environment one would hope its not relying on time alone to handle what should be interthread communication or posting WM messages to different threads to trigger different actions in other threads.

Re "One tip with the other forums is not to open multiple tabs to the forums at the same time. doing that can cause interesting behaviours."

I wasnt opening different webpages on different tabs at least I dont think I was, but as your other forum is written in Nettalk, I guess our users will also see "interesting behaviours" if they or their customers/users/what-have-you open pages on multiple tabs as well, thanks for the heads up!

Will this be addressed soon as I've got to make an update to a NT webserver which is going to be used by both handhelds (ce.net), smartphones (iphones, blackberry & androids) as well as desktop pc's for a company and one of the points mentioned was the ability to have different webpages open on different tabs. This "interesting behaviour" could scupper this project if its behaviour is too interesting and whilst I dont want to redo this server from scratch in something else, if your workload or the scale of the problem doesnt permit a resolution anytime soon, it might be quicker to port this to something else so if you can give an accurate or best guess idea of timescales this will help me plan ahead and potentially avoid disappointing the customer suffering more losses.