NetTalk Central

Author Topic: NTWS and SelfService Icon issue  (Read 2603 times)

Alan Cochran

• View Profile
NTWS and SelfService Icon issue
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
I am wanting to run my NTWS app as a service using SelfService.  Everything seems to work except the icon doesn't display in the task tray..  If I run the app as an executable, the icon shows up.  After following the steps in the Q&A section of the selfservice documentation: "(C2) I can't get the Task Tray Icon to work, when the application is loaded as a Service on boot up",  but it still doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to get this working, otherwise, I will just keep running as an executable.  I am running NT8.12, SelfService 3.43 and WinEvent 3.86.

Thanks...
Alan

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NTWS and SelfService Icon issue
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:55:44 PM »
>> Everything seems to work except the icon doesn't display in the task tray.

that's not terribly surprising. No version of Windows since XP has allowed services to appear in the task tray. You can stop trying:)

Cheers
Bruce

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:12:45 AM »
task bar or system tray?

Alan Cochran

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 05:28:38 AM »
If that is the case, then how does other programs that run as services get their program's icon in the task bar?  Just wondering.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 06:24:25 AM »
>> task bar or system tray?

I was referring to System tray, but in fact the statement is equally valid for both.

>> If that is the case, then how does other programs that run as services get their program's icon in the task bar?  Just wondering.

They don't It's just _looks_ like they do. Usually there are actually 2 EXE's. One which is actually running as a service, and a completely separate desktop exe program which provides the interface to the dat and/or settings.

Not to be confused with the SelfService ability to run the same exe in either Service mode or Desktop mode. that's not what I'm referring to here. Rather they have 2 distinct exe's - one which provides a "user interface" and the other which does all the actual work. The interface one just changes settings in file (or whatever) and then sends the actual service a note to "re-read settings".

If you have a web server anyway, then the easiest way to communicate with your service is via a web interface.

cheers
Bruce

Alan Cochran

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
Bruce,
Thanks for clearing that up.

Alan