NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Web Services - Obtaining List of Functions and Parameters  (Read 18507 times)

Rob Mikkelsen

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - flashpott
    • View Profile
    • Email
Web Services - Obtaining List of Functions and Parameters
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:53:47 AM »
I am just starting to play with a SOAP client and connecting to web services.  In some documentation for the web services, I have read that all functions and parameters are made available to IIS when defined.  A coworker has stated that using .NET he can obtain a list of all those functions and parameters.

How can obtain a similar list using NetTalk and XFiles?  Is it as simple as calling the service without specifying the function that I would like to access?

Rob

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Web Services - Obtaining List of Functions and Parameters
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »
Hi Rob,

I'm not a SOAP expert, but I believe this is possible yes, with certain services. Diego showed something similar in Oz recently using Clarion#. From what I understand it's a "default" behavior for .Net based services, although not necessarily a standard.

The most obvious way to do something like this with NetTalk is to make a function that returns the information about your service. However if your approach was "the same" then obviously things are compatible, which is good.

Sean has offered to whip up a .Net service for me to try, so I'll post back some results here in a day or so. Obviously if it's nice an consistent then  the template could generate this list automatically, which would be quite cool.

Cheers
Bruce

Rob Mikkelsen

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - flashpott
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:19:54 PM »
Bruce,

I look forward to your findings.  In the meanwhile I will beat on a service that has been made available to me to see if there is an intuitive way to obtain this list of functions and parameters. 

If I find anything I will share it here.

Rob

mpalade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:01:27 PM »
Any news of this subject?

Thank you,

Mihai PALADE

Larry Sand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:21:51 AM »
Many Web services are described by the Web Service Description Language.  Dot Net has methods to read the WSDL files to determine the service methods, and responses.  Here's a good description of the WSDL http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl

#Dev and VS can read these and produce the stubs for you to call from your code.

Larry Sand

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:26:23 AM »
> #Dev and VS can read these and produce the stubs for you to call from your code.

What do we have to do, if we want to present our own SOAP/Webservice, written with Nettalk?

How do we produce a WSDL-file to hand out to authors of clients?

Thanks,
Wolfgang

Thys

• View Profile
    • Incasu
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:55:03 PM »
Hi,

I have an integration product that now also supports an http interface - using NetTalk web server. I added a procedure called WSDL that returns the wsdl file for any other client that wants to use it. I tried to reproduce my web service methods in VS and use the default wsdl file it produces. But - alas! it's not the same. Seems like I need to get my head around wsdl language.

But the opposite is also true. From a Clarion application it would also be good to read a wsdl file for a service and build a Clarion/NetTalk class that's able to use the web service (in their lingual - to "consume" it).

I haven't spent time on this for months. Would be nice to have something that can do it for me.

Thys