NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Conditionally serving pages with or without SSL  (Read 2468 times)

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
Conditionally serving pages with or without SSL
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:58:36 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to offer my client organizations a choice of three SSL options:
serve pages without SSL,  use SSL just for the log on form, and all pages with SSL.

No SSL and all SSL are not a problem, but I can't find a way to call conditionally use SSL for individual pages.  Is there a tag somewhere or a way to amend the URL to send the request through the secure server port conditionally?

Many thanks.       

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Conditionally serving pages with or without SSL
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:55:29 AM »
Hi Casey,

While offering 3 options is good, it's not actually an ideal situation.

The main problem is that the secure site, and the unsecure site, are effectivly 2 different Servers.
In other words, you have a server listening on port 80 (the unsecure on) and another server listening on 443.

While swapping between the servers is fine, it needs to be remembered that each server will have it's own session Queue. So every time the user moves from one to another the SessionQ changes. With the latest 4.31 pre-release it at least uses the same Session number when this happens (if you do the URL right) but you still can't get values from one queue in the other.

That said, moving from one site to another is a matter of the URL. If you set the URL completely - including the https:// (when moving to secure) or http:// (when moving to non-secure).

Cheers
Bruce

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Conditionally serving pages with or without SSL
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:12:41 AM »
Thanks, Bruce

I forgot about the SessionQueue issue.  The clients will have to choose all or no SSL, at least for now.