NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Child browse to parent update form  (Read 2655 times)

mriffey

• View Profile
    • Email
Child browse to parent update form
« on: January 07, 2020, 10:58:32 PM »
In a related matter to the question I posted the other day...

table LAAS_CONTACT -> table LAAS_ACTIVITY

LAAS_ACTIVITY is a child to the LAAS_CONTACT. This child table has netwebbrowse in date order (called ViewFollowUps) – this browse does not have a parent filter on it. Think of it as a list “todo items that relate to a specific contact”. It shows these items for the entire contact list.

Customer wants to open the parent record (LAAS_Contact) update form when double clicking on the child table’s web browse (ViewFollowUps, which is a netwebbrowse for LAAS_ACTIVITY).

I have tried a number of different angles at this, including the settings below. They all result in the form opening, giving an error message and not displaying any data. I’m pretty sure I’m  “using it wrong” but it isnt clear how. The activity table has the parent key in it (see Key_ContactID below). Various attempts to add the parent key to the view, set it up via SetValue or SSV at the very top of UpdateContact have yielded similar results.

Note: this contact update form is also used as the form from a standard netwebbrowse for LAAS_CONTACT so I have to be careful not to break it:)

Any ideas? I didn’t see anything like this here in nettalk central that looked quite like this. And yes, this is the same DCT/project from the odd question I posted a few days ago.

Mark

DonRidley

• Don Ridley
  • Global Moderator
  • donaldridley2011@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Child browse to parent update form
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 02:30:11 AM »
Hello Mark,

I'm sure the double click is possible but would your customer consider using an in row button to open the form?

I'm just brainstorming - and my coffee is not fully metabolized - but...

Perhaps use an "Other" button in the child table's browse to call the form.  You could pass the proper Key values as parameters, then use the Form's Priming to prime the appropriate Key fields. 

I'm off work from my day job today and tomorrow.  You can hit me up on Skype.

This might be a good question to ask during Thursday's NetTalk User Group webinar.

See ya,

Don
"Eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth."

NetTalk 12.55
Clarion 11

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 04:45:09 AM »
Hi Mark,

yeah seems like 2 good topics to cover in the webinar. If you can send me an example app before that, that would be great.

To somewhat-answer your question though;

Double-Click typically goes to the Change button - (you can set the form for change if you like.)
The form then receives _only_ the ID of the calling-row. From there it can load what it likes (there are settings on the Priming tab - Prime on Load, and also on the Advanced tab).

cheers
Bruce

mriffey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 10:34:22 AM »
I'm sure the double click is possible but would your customer consider using an in row button to open the form?

If there's no choice, I can do that but they'd clearly prefer the double click.