NetTalk Central

Author Topic: NetWebBrowse question, number of rows  (Read 2995 times)

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
NetWebBrowse question, number of rows
« on: May 17, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »
Bruce,

With a current NT 10 app, I have browses with 10 rows, page loaded.  If there are say 27 records, and the user presses Next, they see records 11-20.  Upon clicking Last, they see records 18 - 27.  I would like Last to display just the last 7 records and not duplicate the display of records 18, 19 and 20.  Some users get confused by this and think there are duplicate records.  I looked at the Browse options tab and see "allow unfilled" and "include blank rows".  In my experimenting these do not seem to help.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:50:57 AM by jking »

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NetWebBrowse question, number of rows
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 04:35:35 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I feel your pain - end users don't like the surprises - I would suggest that you think about putting a record number as the first field in the line.  This way the end users can see the Id number of the line and can make the mental leap!

On the wild side, the browse box tries to fill all the records - I have not looked at the mechanics and conceptually, if you have a limited number of records, then divide the number of records by 10 and if the result is not a whole number then keep track of which set you are displaying and then when at the last few straggler records, change the number of records in the list box to the number of remaining records.  e.g. 22 records.  you would have 2.2 sets of ten.  If first set, display 10 records, if second set display 10 records but if the 3rd ( partial set) display only 2 records in browse.   Concept is easy, doing the coding to manipulate list box and clicks - probably in javascript - may not be worth the trouble.

FWIW,
Ron Jolda

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 04:32:56 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Allow Unfilled is definitely the setting which should make this work for you.
I haven't tried with that turned on in probably 15 years though. I'll give it a whirl and see if it works for me...

cheers
Bruce

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 04:37:41 AM »
Just tried it here on the customers browse in Books (71) example.
And "Allow Unfilled" seems to be working ok...

cheers
Bruce

Jane

• Expert on nothing with opinions on everything.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 08:08:37 AM »
Cool!  I can use this.

It seems to work a little inconsistently, though.  (Web 71).
- page through records from first page, last page is smaller as expected and does not duplicate any records from the penultimate page.
- start at first.  click Last.  Then page backwards to front.  Page 1 includes duplicate records from page 2.

I doubt that many users would notice the latter behavior, and it's certainly not as confusing as the paging to last page.

Jane

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »
Bruce,

My experience is similar to Jane's.  Starting at the first record on the first page, clicking Next indeed does end with the final page showing less than 10 records.  However, starting at the first record on the first page, clicking Last always shows a page of 10 records.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 10:14:48 PM »
>> However, starting at the first record on the first page, clicking Last always shows a page of 10 records.

This makes sense (to me anyway). The user asked for the "last page" and they got the "last page".
If they then go backwards to the first they'll then get overlaps with the "second".

Technically it's getting the last page by "going to the end and reading backwards". As distinct from "reading from the start and going forwards, discarding 10 records at a time, which seems really slow.

Cheers
Bruce