NetTalk Central

Author Topic: My tiny server gets syn-flooded - how to add Firewall rules programatically?  (Read 2714 times)

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
Hello all,

I have rented a tiny webserver, just the smallest offer. Ti's okay for me, as I can run and test my Nettalk Webserver.

However, there seems to sit a dirtbag somewhere at the other end of the world and tries to kick my server down by syn-flood attracks. Denial-of-service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYN_flood

Right now I sit at my desk at IP-range after IP-range to the Windows Firewall, but he seems to have access to quite some machine from all over the world. The attcks come from the Netherlands, France, HongKong, Germany. I gave up looking.

Because I do not do any business with the Netherlands, France, HongKong or inept german morons who are not able to keep their own network clean, I would really really like the ability to add block rules to the firewall.

Does anyone of you know any trick?

Is it possible with NETSH?

It's going to midnight and I would like to get some sleep.....

Scumbags!

bshields

• View Profile
    • Inhabit
    • Email
Hi,

This is very unusual.

I'm guessing that the IP address (or addresses) allocated to your server by your server hosting company is the actual target not you, probably based on who had the IP before you. Before I wasted too much time i'd request a new IP (or range) from your hosting company.

I've added block rules for Geo-location based rules to my routers, its possible but a pain.

You can find a countries IP ranges from a website like https://lite.ip2location.com/ip-address-ranges-by-country.

In the past i've download their database and converted the file into a script my router can understand (Fortinet CLI instructions). If you are using the firewall in Windows I have no idea how to do it, but its probably possible.

But, i'd try requesting a new IP block first.

Regards
Bill
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:25:14 AM by bshields »