NetTalk Central

Author Topic: C11 with NT 11 menu and style differences?  (Read 3227 times)

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
C11 with NT 11 menu and style differences?
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:08:36 PM »
Bruce,

I moved a C10/NT10 app to C11/NT11.  I'm seeing some differences in styles, menus and forms.  In attached image C11_Differences.png I now see icons on the menu buttons where there were none in C10/NT10.  The Drop Down menu also seems a bit odd, where one or more items have a border around them.  I also see a single vertical dotted line to the far right on forms, see image C11_Differences_02.png.  I'm using the ShoeStrap2 style and have made no changes to anything in the app, just copied it and the dct to a new folder and loaded it into C11.
     I have begun looking for differences in the NT templates but wondered if you had any ideas here.

Thanks,

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:12:19 PM by jking »

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: C11 with NT 11 menu and style differences?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »
Bruce,

I have attached a sample of how the menu looks in C10/NT10 app.  Basically, the entire group of items is surrounded by a border/box.  In C11/NT11 some items are surrounded by a border, others are not.  Again this is with the ShoeStrap2 theme.

Jeff

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 01:24:25 AM »
Hi Jeff,

It is certainly related to the theme you use - so thanks for the mention that it's ShoeStrap 2.

>> I now see icons on the menu buttons where there were none in C10/NT10.

Correct that's an addition.

>> The Drop Down menu also seems a bit odd, where one or more items have a border around them.

This is covered by CSS - I'll take a look and see if it needs some tweaking.

Cheers
Bruce

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 12:22:08 PM »
Bruce,

Thanks for the response.  I have a bit more info.  I found that if the menu item is not explicitly called as a pop up or if the item is called as a URL, then the menu item will have the box/border around it.  Not sure if this is by design or a bug.
     I experimented with many of the themes.  The base and material17 themes seem to have the expected menu behavior.  All the other themes have the issues I reported.  I tried comparing the theme.css file for the base and Shoestrap1 themes but was not really sure what to look for.

Jeff

peterH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 12:43:11 PM »
I think it's fair to say that most of the themes need an update (especially after the demise of the mobile stuff and the introduction of the responsive layouts (div based)). Bruce seems to be in favour of the base theme (which is almost working) but most of us have apps that have been around for a while and the majority of these apps use some flavour of Bootstrap ShoeStrap (I think - from reading the various posts here).

My suggestion would therefore be for Bruce to cut down on the number of themes supported and then make the ones that are supported ready for the new reality. Like completely ready. That would make a lot of sense, instead of all of us spending time trying to make the same tweaks to get things looking right.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:48:04 AM by peterH »

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:25:50 AM »
Bruce,

I started experimenting with the base theme and have issues with it.  For example, in a browse, I have 3 columns from fields in a table and then 5 columns from local variables.  The columns from a table have the header formatted properly, but the local variable columns are not formatted.  See the attached image.  I'm spending a lot of time trying to apply work-arounds and creating my own styles in a custom file.  So far I have had only limited success.

Thanks,

Jeff

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 06:05:37 PM »
Bruce,

After many hours of experimenting with the base theme, the work-around is to set the CSS as seen in the attached image.  This "turns on" the formatting of the columns that were local variables.  For any of this to work the Column entry must be set to Custom.  I had it set to CenterJustify but this causes the column headers to lose their formatting.   In addition, I found that the column headers were not formatted for a memory table.  Here again, the Column entry must be set to custom.

Another issue appeared, where the browse/table header was not visible, but the sub-header was.  This has occurred with both the base and shoestrap2 themes in NT11 but not in NT10.  The work-around is to put the header in the sub-header for now.  But, this is an issue when I want different sizes for header/sub-header and especially when I export to xml for viewing in Excel.

Hopefully all this can be fixed soon.

Thanks,

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:09:51 PM by jking »

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
Bruce,

I thought I would send a list of the issues I have seen with NT11/C11.  I'm not sure if these are caused by some mis-configuration on my part or issues with CSS in NT11.  None of these issues appeared in NT10/C10.

Here they are:

1.  No headers on browses or forms, but the sub header is there.
2.  All pop-up forms start in upper left corner.  I tried setting the off-set both at the global level and local level but this did not have an effect.
3.  Tabs with no text show a "blank tab".  In NT10, there was just a line.  See blank_tab.png.
4.  Drop menus have some items surrounded by a box/border, other items do not.  See drop_down.png.  I found that only items called with a URL have this border.  In addition, there is no background or border around the dropped items as a group.  I was able to get a background to appear but no border, by adding some CSS to my custom.css file.
5.  On browses, only columns that come from a table/file have header formatting.  Columns from local variables (or memory tables) have no apparent formatting applied.   See image column_headers.png.  I found that on the CSS tab of the local variables, I had to set "Column" to Custom.  See image column_workaround.png.
6.  All browse/forms have a dotted vertical line on the far right edge of the form.  See image dotted_line.png.

Hopefully you can point me to setting on my side if I have configured things wrong, or you can find issues with the CSS.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 04:51:49 AM »
Hi Jeff,

There are a lot of style and css changes, necessitated by the update to jQueryUI. So there are bound to be differences - some intentional, and some unintentional.

First thing - on the CSS tab (and on all CSS Tabs) - unless you explicitly want to override the default classes assigned to things, you want to start you "override" string with a space. In other words;
'mydate'
_removes_ all the default css class assignments. whereas
' mydate'
simply _adds_ your rules to the existing rules.

So that's a good place to start.

regarding the other things, perhaps tweak an example to show the effects so I can investigate further here.

cheers
Bruce