NetTalk Central

Author Topic: RDP - how can the server know my local IP-Address?  (Read 1926 times)

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
RDP - how can the server know my local IP-Address?
« on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:50 AM »
Hello Bruce and all!

A while ago Bruce presented on ClarionLive!, how to set up a virtual server at Amazons AWS, later he accessed it via RDP and then installed and ran some NTWS on it.

What I really liked was the ability to advise the Amazon Firewall to allow access to this RDP-server from one specific IP-Address ONLY! That makes working via RDP much more safe.

Now I ponder to set up a Windows Server in a datacenter also, but with a german datacenter. However, they do not offer this FW-feature what Bruce showed. So I have to cope with that.

Still I am a Caspar Milquetoast, so if I can't limit the access to one address, I still want to draw in another line, if not defense, but sort of ease then.

My idea is to have a program, that sits inthe %AUTOSTART%-group and gets loaded, when someone logs-in to any of the accounts on that remote server. The only task of this program is to send an e-mail, that this account is active right now. Thats easily doable with Nettalk.

What I think I would like to have then is the IP-Address of the client, which has invoked the RDP-Server, included in that e-mail to myself. If its me, its okay, but when I get this e-mail while I am NOT on that server, I then not only know that I got screwed, but also I have a hint by whom. (Yes I know I jnow I know...)

So my question: Is it possible to identity of the accessing client?

Thanks in advance!
Wolfgang

PS: added this question to the 3rdP.NG.SV, because not all of the colleagues are members here.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:21:40 AM by Wolfgang Orth »