NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Logging users onto a remote secure server from my NT app  (Read 2468 times)

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
Logging users onto a remote secure server from my NT app
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:27:56 AM »
Hi All,
Easier to explain a little.  I have credentials for my users to log them onto a 3rd party remote secure server and  set up reports for them. For legal reasons, I cannot download reports for them but we do create the reports with our NT automation program and we fetch the LINK to the report on the 3rd party secure server and store it in an encrypted table.
When the end user logs into our NT program, they have the link to their already generated report on the 3rd party secure server.
Now, I need to open up another tab in their Local Browser - (can send the 3rd party server LOGIN URL with '_blank' Target) but since we already have their Login credentials, we would like to automagically log them on to the remote 3rd party server.  Once they are logged into the 3rd party secure server, then they click the link in our table and they get their report IMMEDIATELY.
PROBLEM:
I am trying to figure out the best way to Log them (their local browser - running our secure NT app) to a 3rd party Secure server ( We have their credentials).
Bruce made an html file for logging users on with a post in UG 185.
How would I go about doing this in our secure server - button, link?
How can I pass the user login name and user password - create a string on the fly?
In the UG example in 185, Bruce created a small HTML file which he ran - I don't want to save anything to their local machine so how can I do it through my NT app?
Sorry for being wordy,
TIA,
Ron Jolda   

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Logging users onto a remote secure server from my NT app
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 11:48:54 PM »
Hi Ron,

Before I can answer the question we need to step back one step.
You have the credentials for the remote server, but what methodology does that server use to "login"?

The POST approach I showed was for a desktop program logging into a web site that had a "simple form" approach to login  - ie it simply filled out a user name and password field, and did the post.
For a different site though the technique might need to be different.

cheers
Bruce

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 02:52:16 AM »
Hi Bruse,
Exactly the same. Straight forward: Enter  Login name, password and then click submit.  I have the field identifiers and credentials, I just have to get them to the end user's browser so that it can do the login process automatically.
ROn

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:39:34 AM »
Hi Ron,

>> Bruce made an html file for logging users on with a post in UG 185.

sure, but that was so it could be RUN from a desktop app. In a server context you could generate that form on the fly.

>> How would I go about doing this in our secure server - button, link?
>> How can I pass the user login name and user password - create a string on the fly?
>> In the UG example in 185, Bruce created a small HTML file which he ran - I don't want to save anything to their local machine so how can I do it through my NT app?

I'm going to struggle to answer this accurately without the URL to the server, and ideally a valid login and password there.
Each server is likely to be different.

cheers
Bruce

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 02:31:10 AM »
Using C8.9023 And NT10.23
THanks Bruce,
I can pass the URL with the user name and login values as a string  over https connection from my server to their browser - and the end user would be sending this information through their secure connection to the target site.    IS that OK and will it expose username and password along the way?

#2 If passing the parameters on the URL line is not secure = how can I make an html package that I send to the client which will have the URL and a "html string package" which the end users browser whould use go to target machnie, fill the fields ( login and password) and click the button.......doable?

Many thanks,
Ron