NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Using LDAP for Log-In - How to prepare my data?  (Read 2558 times)

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
Using LDAP for Log-In - How to prepare my data?
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »
Hello Bruce and all others,

during the presentation of Nettalk on ClarionLive I got caught by a remark, that LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is supported and can be used can be used for automated Log-In to a program.

Because I am not really sure about what LDAP is, I thought I'd better ask, as I expect to need some changes in my data for this.

Right now I offer two options to start and run my program:

1) no log-in needed (the program takes the IP-Address and MAV to identify the machine for filtering the data

2) Log-In with a username and password. These UN and PW are maintained by the Admin in a separate Admin-program and stored in a table, against that the client will check the credentials.

For this first version of our program I am on Nettalk 9.30, but will migrate to Nettalk 10 during the next months, when I write the first update for it.

My question now is: What do I have to prepare in my recent data-structure before rolling the program out into the wild, so that I can start implementing LDAP next year? I want to avoid any strutural change of existing tables. Adding a new table, if necessary, seems okay to me, though, as I would not expect trouble from that.

I looked at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Directory_Access_Protocol
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LDAP_authentication
but I didn't got any clue from it.

Thanks in advance
Wolfgang

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using LDAP for Log-In - How to prepare my data?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 10:38:33 PM »
I don't think you need to make any chances.

ActiveDirectory / LDAP logins is just a case of having a user name, and password, and passing that to the LDAP server. The server returns yes or no.

cheers
Bruce

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
Re: Using LDAP for Log-In - How to prepare my data?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »
That would be really great, Bruce!

Putting LDAP onto my ToDo list for next year now.....

Thanks!