NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Outlook changing charset <meta> tag? How to stop?  (Read 3112 times)

Stu

• View Profile
    • Email
Outlook changing charset <meta> tag? How to stop?
« on: February 21, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »
Hi Bruce/Folks,

Have got a bit of a thing.

Users were noticing that some characters were coming up in emails as question marks. Now, a while back I changed everything (in the webserver, as well as in emails etc) to be UTF-8. And this works great.

But. Still we get an html email that might have one of the those long dashes, and on some email clients (Outlook for sure) it displays as three question marks.

So I went investigating.

And what I found, so far, was that Outlook seems to change the charset <meta> tag in the email.

--

The system creates an html email and sends it out with a <meta> charset=utf-8 tag (first screenshot).

When Outlook opens the email, it changes the charset <meta> tag to us-ascii (second screenshot).

--

1. Is there any way to stop Outlook from changing this? (have googled, but couldn't find anything that helps with this, but might not be looking for the right thing)

If I can stop it, then I can rule this out. If the question marks keep popping up, then I'll know it was something different.

Thanks for any help!
Cheers,

Stu Andrews

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Outlook changing charset <meta> tag? How to stop?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:03:51 PM »
Hi Stu,

>> And what I found, so far, was that Outlook seems to change the charset <meta> tag in the email.

seems a bit strange.
But I have nothing really useful to add, I'm not an Outlook user so I've not done any experimenting there. Sorry.

cheers
Bruce

Stu

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Outlook changing charset <meta> tag? How to stop?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
Cool, thanks Bruce. Will keep scouring the ends of google.
Cheers,

Stu Andrews