NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Strange inconsistent Nettalk Email behaviour  (Read 3233 times)

ChrisLaurie

• View Profile
Strange inconsistent Nettalk Email behaviour
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:07:02 AM »
I'm experiencing an issue where I generate a pdf from a report (using pdfexchange), then I have an email window (basic nettalk sendmail) where the user enters several to: addresses and the pdf file is attached (automatically by my proc). Some of the recipients are receiving mangled pdf's (all nul if opened in notepad++) that the pdf viewers cannot open - others (from the same email), the same attachment arrives fine.

If the user saves the pdf to a drive and then manually attach using his email client, then it never seems to get mangled. If I inspect the produced pdf it is also fine.

Where can the mangling happen?  Does Nettalk send a seperate encoded attachment to each recipient?

ChrisLaurie

• View Profile
Re: Strange inconsistent Nettalk Email behaviour
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:56:07 AM »
My research seems to indicate that something goes wrong with the decoding at the client side. I'm out of my depth here but noticed that the emails sent via Nettalk does include a Content-transfer-encoding header. This I gathered from inspecting a message that was sent using a Nettalk sendmail procedure.

Is this possibly significant?

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Strange inconsistent Nettalk Email behaviour
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:51:11 AM »
Hi Chris,

My guess is all the problem people are running Outlook, and you are running an Old build of NetTalk 8. Or StringTheory. Or both. Upgrading NT & ST should make it right again. The bug is in Outlook, but there's a work-around added to the email class to deal with it.

cheers
Bruce