NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Requesting a "Read Receipt" from the email recipient  (Read 4542 times)

mtabakin

• View Profile
    • Email
Requesting a "Read Receipt" from the email recipient
« on: August 27, 2014, 11:48:35 AM »
I want to request a Read Receipt on emails that are sent. Exploring the NetSimple class I see a property called deliveryReceiptTo. If I populate this with the email address I want the receipt sent to is that all I need to do?

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
Re: Requesting a "Read Receipt" from the email recipient
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
There are smarter ways to do it if you have a web server by adding a small image file (like a logo) to each email with a unique link. When the email is opened it pulls the file and code on your webserver matches it to the email and tags an opened email on your side.

mtabakin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:36:48 PM »
Thanks for the input Kevin but there's no webserver involved here. Just using NetTalk NetSimple SendMail to send email from a program, really plain and simple.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:38:51 PM by mtabakin »

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:10:18 PM »
Mike,

read receipts have to be turned on in the email client for this to work.
Since no-one in their right mind ever has this turned on (for spam reasons) adding it to an email is basically useless.

tracking that an email is read is hardish depending on how slimy you want to be.

Kevin's approach of an embedded link - such as to an image, is likely the best, although in many readers the user has to "ok" the images before they are fetched.

cheers
Bruce