NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Nettalk 7  (Read 7301 times)

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
Nettalk 7
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »
Hi Bruce,

You let it slip (maybe on purpose) in your forums email that "NetTalk 7 (which needs to do a lot of string manipulations anyway) will require it."

Wow, just when I thought it couldn't get any better - a new version in the pipeline! Any sneak preview of what you have install for the next version? Obviously it must be some major stuff to be worthy of a new version.

Cheers,

Kevin

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nettalk 7
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:35 PM »
Hi Kevin,

ha ha - no that wasn't my intention. What I was trying to say (badly) was that NetTalk 6 should really have had StringTheory as a dependency, but by the time I figured it out, it was too late. There's a fair bit of string-manipulation code in the web server class that doesn't need to be there, and shouldn't be there. Making StringTheory a requirement would simplify a lot of existing code, both in the web server, and the other classes.

It _is_ already a requirement for 3 of the features, PHP, SMPP and IMAP, so it makes sense to stop "faking" it and just make it a requirement.

As regards NetTalk 7 - yes there is some planning there going on already. there are a lot of very nice things I want to add at some point, but the nature of the changes they would require means a "major version" change. At this stage I'm not ready to talk too much about that, there's no fixed feature set in place yet, and no release date scheduled.

Cheers
Bruce

RayA

• View Profile
    • My Web Site
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:08:39 AM »
 ;D  Ok Bruce, so its safe to say we can put our credit cards up for now! 

Ray Abadie
Lafayette, La.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
briefly...