NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Tips for those just getting started with a WebServer App  (Read 15618 times)

Gregg Matteson

• View Profile
    • Custom Program Solutions
Tips for those just getting started with a WebServer App
« on: June 18, 2007, 04:14:26 PM »
Thought I'd start a thread of hopefully helpful hints for those just getting started...

If you intend to create a web app that uses static pages -
1. decide if the pages will be fixed width, how wide they will be and if centered or not. ( reasoning-  The above factors will dictate the design that fits for some screens. Example, a procedure with two or more tables side by side might not work out if you decide to make your static pages fixed width centered at 700 pixels.)

2. Use a static page for a procedure or two to see how the above all plays out then change the links back to the regular non-static urls until you have most if not all of your site complete.  This will save you a lot of grief and time.

From experience I can tell you that if I had it to do over again I would do it this way.

HTH

Gregg Matteson

Kindest Regards,

Gregg Matteson

'Software that's actually easy to use'

George

• View Profile
Re: Tips for those just getting started with a WebServer App
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:23:40 PM »
Gregg,

I've heard this suggestion before, but I'm a little confused.  What's a static page?  Is that an HTML document.

I have HTML pages that use the <!-- NetWebServer --> tag as the first line.  Is this what you mean.

Could you elaborate...

George.

Gregg Matteson

• View Profile
    • Custom Program Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:45:34 PM »
George,

Yes that's exactly what I meant. Reference to "static" comes from the Nettalk docs.

HTH

Gregg Matteson
Kindest Regards,

Gregg Matteson

'Software that's actually easy to use'

Kim Davies

• View Profile
    • Infinity Software
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 05:34:44 PM »
George

The terminology can get confusing, but if you use the Joomla constructs of static and dynamic, which seems to be a quasi standard, then you cannot go far wrong.

Typically, a static page is an HTML page who's content rarely/never changes, eg., an About page on the website.

A dynamic page would be one who's content is driven by Db, or other, info in order to generate it. Such as an inventory browse or report.

HTH
Kim